HELP! Kerdi shower curb mistake/"jolly" trim

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by slickschick, Sep 28, 2011.

1. slickschick

slickschick New Member

Have been reading up on alot of stuff the last month on here. Had a friend who is a contractor install the schluter system in our basement. For some reason she installed the pebble tiles on the floor and decided I should finish. I am a avid diyer and a girl! I completed the tile work last weekend and started to grout w/ the epoxy grout by Mapei yesterday. For some reason I didn't notice until yesterday that I did the curb wrong. I didn't put the "jolly trim" by schulter out far enough to meet up w/ the tiles on the front and back of the curb. I could've just shot myself.
    She is too busy w/ harvest and working to come take a peek, but I'm guessing I'm just stuck w/ what I have. If I take off the tiles on top of the curb i could risk wrecking the kerdi membrane correct? The tiles would have to be recut which would be easy but I'd have to chisel/sand off the mortar somehow. Let me know if you think this is possible or to just leave it as is and try to grout it up with the mapei epoxy grout. It is a basement shower for our daughter, not seen by many but just bums me out, I was pretty proud of my work until that point.
    Have the day off today and was planning on finishing it up today. 059.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

UPDATING:

Schlickschick has contacted me via PM's about her shower issues. I have advised here that the pebble stone floor in the shower probably doesn't meet the requirements of the Schluter KERDI Mat and Schluter KERDI foam plastic shower base as the tiles are too small and will punch holes in the system below. Seems I remember the system requires a minimum tile size of 2" X 2" but I haven't looked it up lately.

She also posed a question about the manner in which the curb was assembled but I'm not understanding the issue.

END

Now that I see the pictures I do see a poorly-laid-out wall pattern and curb tile pattern. If I am correct about the pebbles stones being used on the floor and since this project was begun by a so-called experienced tile installer and then abandoned by same I now question the knowledge and experience of this installer.

Anyone using the Schluter Systems products or any products for that matter should do so only after familiarizing themselves with the limitations of the products being used. To abandon a project (friend or no friend) is not conducive with maintaining a friendship or a professional stance in the industry. I'll take another look at the pictures but a further explanation of the perceived issues could be further explained maybe.

I can add that I would not have laid out the curb tile in the manner shown and that in my opinion the tile on top of the curb should be either bull-nosed or metal-edged and should overlap the riser tiles so as to shed water rather to invite water into the grout joints.

Upon closer review I see that metal edging was used on the curb but the top-of-the-curb tiles have been cut improperly in my opinion.

Epoxy grout IS NOT the grout for this project, it will never work under the circumstances.

3. slickschick

slickschick New Member

So what is my next step? am I able to pull up the tiles on top of the curb? or where do I go from here?

I realize it is not a perfect job, I did mess up on some of the joints. The reason the curb isn't right is that I didn't cut the top tiles longer to extend for the jolly the meet the riser tiles.

I don't want anyone getting upset over the issue, of course I am the only one who should be upset since it is my shower/$

4. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With toes Senior Member Published

Schluter makes a product called Rondo that may work better. I used it on the outside corners of my shower surround/wall tile. I AM NOT A CERAMIC GUY! I am a carpet installer but the Rondo covers more area and may fit the bill for your shower. A Fien tool coul be usfull in the tear-out process. Good luck!

5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

6. slickschick

slickschick New Member

All grouted and done, not a tile guy's job but it will work for us thanks for everyone's help

7. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I'm not familiar with any tile size restrictions when using the shower tray. That may have been carried over from the fact that Ditra does have a tile size limitation.

The difference may be that the tray is covered with Kerdi whereas Ditra is not (typically). The issue is with the amount of bonding surface, which is limited over Ditra, but not with Kerdi.

8. Nate Hall

9. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

UPDATE of the UPDATE: I contacted Schluter to satisfy my curiosity about the minimal acceptable size of tile being applied over the KERDI Shower Tray using KERDI Mat.

Much to my surprise (and I stand corrected by the way) Schluter tells me they don't have a problem with using the stones over that system. So there's the official comment from Schluter. So apparently the only Schluter product that carries a minimum tile size is in fact the DITRA.

HOWEVER, I would take issue with the procedure. I have had (one) shower in which I used the Schluter Shower System and I installed the typical 2"X2" porcelain shower floor tiles and the damned thing failed. It so happens this particular customer stands about six feet four inches and must weigh-in at around three hundred (plus) pounds.

After about six months of using the shower, the shower tray softened right where he would step in to the shower and place his heel. The grout broke up and a dish resulted due to smashing the Styrofoam. The only way to fix this was to remove the tray and replace it with concrete. Of course this also required that a couple of the bottom rows of wall tile also had to be removed to facilitate the installation of the pan.

I was pissed.

I now take a closer look at the size of the customer before I use the damned Styrofoam tray. This is the only shower floor I have ever had break up. I did the work free of charge, seemed like the thing to do but it cost me. To say nothing of my embarrassment because the damned thing failed to begin with after I pitched the product and told them how it was "state-of-the-art" and all of that malarkey.

In addition I am beginning to see where customers are becoming more interested in "the bottom line cost" of an installation and they aren't much giving a schit about "state-of-the-art" bull during these harder times.

Earlier this year I missed two other jobs because my price was so high. I attribute this to my specifying Schluter products throughout. Twenty-eight thousand dollars worth of work - GONE.:mad:

Until recently...I don't know when I have missed a job in the past eighteen years. I always get the ones I want. Not any more.:)

10. Nate Hall

I ( like a lot of us flooring professionals) know your pain. Customers are panicy creatures in the best of times, and now they shop themselves into getting ripped off on quality to save a few bucks, which in most cases won't help to cover the cost of inevitable repairs. :( :mad:

11. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

Hey Bud, just curious why ya said epoxy wasn't a good choice in this situation. Can't figger out why it wouldn't be......:blink: