Help Choosing Master Bedroom Carpet

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by AuntyC, Jan 22, 2017.

1. AuntyC

AuntyC Member

Hello and Happy New Year. My google searches led me to this great forum and I've been reading and trying to absorb the wealth of infor aion here. I need help with replacing our Master bedroom carpet. The rest of the house is either hardwood or laminate planks but we love the warmth and softness of carpet under our feet. The bedroom is about 13'L by 11'W with a reach in closet about 7.3'L by 2'W. We want something that can hide stains and is soft. We don't want builder grade but don't want something that will break the bank either. Our current carpet is beige. With guidance from friends in another forum, we went carpet shopping over the weekend.

Option 1 thru Costco
    Shaw Endurance Nylon
    Style: Awesome 7 (T) E0748
    Color: 00712 Cocoa
    Fiber: 100% BCF Endurance III Nylon
    Cost: $3.99/sq ft carpet and pad with $200 installation

Option 2 through local carpet store
    Mohawk Aladdin Collection
    Style: 1Z08 Soft Whisper III
    Color: 858 Egyptian Musk
    Fiber: 100% wear dated embrace BCF Nylon
    Cost: $3.49/sq ft carpet and 8 pound 7/16" pad with $250 installation

Option 3: Home Depot
    Platinum Plus Expeditious II
    Fiber: 100% PureColor solution-dyed BCF Nylon
    Color: 1612 Aspiring
    $2.89/sq ft carpet only. The newbie we met could not guesstimate installation since we were not buying enough to get the current free installation offer. Pad is about $.59/sq ft.

Option 4: Lowes
    Stainmaster Pet Protect Carpet
    Style: Concord
    Color Mystical Charm
    Fiber: 100% Stainmaster SuperLasd Solution Dyed 8CF Nylon 6.6
    Cost: $1.98/scarpet only. 8lb 7/16" padding is $0.75/sq ft and installation is about $.87/sq ft.

The salesman at Option 2 didn't inspire confidence. He couldn't immediately identify the samples that were nylon and when we happened upon the sample above, then claimed that that was the o e he had in his house. He also told me that there was no carpet out there that could withstand bleach even though I've read that bleach could be used on solution dyed nylon. We kind of liked the price of option 4 but not quite sold quality wise. What do you pros think? Our current carpet is about 7 years old and we'll probably tire of the new carpet in about 7-8 years. Thanks in advance.

2. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

stay away from big BOX

3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Why would you be using bleach in your MBR? I don't know if I would try that test or not. You could get the store that said you could sample and try it on that.
    The only fiber I know of that can be bleached was olefin.

:old:

Daris

4. AuntyC

AuntyC Member

I'm not planning to but I thought a good carpet sales person should be able to know the bleachable quality of solution dyed nylon which seems to be one of its selling points.

5. Daris Mulkin

Ok I checked with one of the top salesman in my area. He said that solution dyed nylon can be bleached, but to dilute the bleach Also that some carpets using bleach is recommended in the cleaning instructions.
    Thank you for asking that question , now I've learned something even though it is in my old age. :bow::bow:

Daris

6. AuntyC

AuntyC Member

Thanks. It means a lot coming from a guru like yourself. So any recommendations from the above or outside the above options?

7. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

Option 2 through local carpet store
    Mohawk Aladdin Collection
    Style: 1Z08 Soft Whisper III
    Color: 858 Egyptian Musk
    Fiber: 100% wear dated embrace BCF Nylon
    Cost: $3.49/sq ft carpet and 8# 7/16" pad with $250 installation

this seems completely reasonable

8. Daris Mulkin

From what I figure they are very close to one another for pricing. So that being said I'd go with the mom and pop store. I have never had any dealings with Costco though so I don't know what they are like. Usually mom and pop stores have a little better service than the big box stores where you are just a number.

Daris

9. The Carpet Rep

The Carpet Rep Pro Member

So here's why you want to stay clear of the big box stores.

You can get products listed above just about anywhere, but what you can't get anywhere is quality installation.

Even a high quality nylon that's poorly installed can be a problem. Big box stores do have a reputation for using less than stellar installers. Just an FYI.

At least check out some local specialty stores. Here where I live they can usually win on price and quality.

10. AuntyC

AuntyC Member

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Out of laziness, I had Luna come out for a free estimate and learnt the following:
    1. They do not sell 100% nylon carpet but polyester was as good and far cheaper than nylon according the sales person.
    2. Their non-nylon quote was higher than the quotes I have for nylon carpet.
    3. They try to sell you hard. From trying to get a $20 deposit to price reduction if I comit during their visit to getting a call from someone higher up in the chain with further reductions if I go with them
    4. They will not breakdown the quote into materials and installation. They would only give me a total price.

This whole process has been a learning experience.

11. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

5. Call a different floor covering retailer because Luna seems just a bit hinky.

12. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Do NOT listen to anyone that says polyester is as good as nylon. The quality is reflected in the price difference. Also, don't blame the salesperson, they are just repeating what reps and carpet manufactures are telling them. Time is the ultimate proof in the flooring world, and nylon and wool stand the the test of time.

13. AuntyC

AuntyC Member

It should right? But their quote for polyester was actually more expensive that the quotes I got for nylon. So the quality is not always reflected in the price difference.

14. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

if you compare similar weights and styles the nylon will always be more.