Hello from new member...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ken M., Dec 24, 2017.

1. Ken M.

Ken M. Member

...of the DIY variety.

I have built a couple basic wheelchair accessible decks that turned out to my satisfaction, done very basic carpentry, a little home woodworking and now want to tackle an engineered flooring project. Just trying to learn as much as I can and plenty of surfing has led me here.
    I liked what I saw so I wanted to join in.
    Thanks,
    Ken.

• Like Like x 1
  2. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Good to have you here
    Tons on good info on this site.

Ron

3. Ken M.

Ken M. Member

You bet Ron...after days total of searching, this was finally the forum where I saw that logic, reason and especially PROOF won the day... not boasts about how many years someone's been in the business, who they were trained by, etc, etc... Glad I found this...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Some reason I’m gathering the name Ken are usually smart, reasonable, logical people. Is there proof of that?

5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Oh, there's some of that here, but our goal is to help you make the best decisions for your project. :welcome:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Years in the trade are kind of like a badge of honor for putting up with all the bull crap and lousy products over the years that we are expected to deal with at low wages for some. Just saying 52 years of it and proud of it. Still love the trade and try to stay active as much as possible.

:old: << The reason for him

Daris

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  7. Ken M.

Ken M. Member

What's really cool, is only after a few hours of perusing, deciding to join, saying 'hello'...I've gotten familiar with some of the names! Yours is @Daris Mulkin one of them...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Ken M.

Ken M. Member

Well, the dictionary entry for 'Ken' is:
    ken. knowledge, understanding, or cognizance; mental perception: an idea beyond one's ken. ... to understand or perceive (an idea or situation).

However, my personal contribution has often led to debunking the notion!!!

Nonetheless, having a background in engineering, (diplomas in electronic and instrumentation engineering), I value evidence based and rationally rooted positions over faith, intuition or 'accepted practice'. My favourite thread I've come across here was started by a member named 'lo', (I think, -can't find it now...?), about an idea he had to design what he called a 'slip piece' to allow for floating floor expansion to occur for the bullnose top step to avoid using a 'T'...in the beginning he was ridiculed, told his idea was dangerous, prone to liability, to why not use the 'known' method, etc... to the point of his absence being mockingly attributed to probably being in a neckbrace...

...He returned much later with a very detailed description, including pictures and drawings, explaining his success and then pretty much being hailed as a genius who ought to charge for his 'invention'! I admired the fact that he didn't give up on his hunch. It was quite brilliant, and I'm going to use the same technique. Fortunately I committed it to memory, and I do believe I recognize your name from the 3 page long thread and if I'm not mistaken, @Jim McClain actually was the person who referred to the solution as 'near genius'.

One expression I hate and encountered plenty of in my career: "Don't try to reinvent the wheel." No one reinvented the wheel, but plenty have improved upon stone cylinders and logs for rolling devices!

Another one is: "We've always done it this way, don't try to fix what ain't broke."

Cheers!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Ken M.

Ken M. Member

That is for sure, Ron...and in the less than 24 hours of having come across this site, I've learned more than the many days I spent elsewhere. I'm just having fun wandering around randomly at present. It's a free school for the curious!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

That is this topic: How to do a floating bullnose Lo is quite the innovative guy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ken M.

Ken M. Member

Great, thanks...Don't know what I was doing wrong with my search today...

12. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

I miss Lo-Down ! and wish him well.

Thanks Ken for taking the time to acknowledge Lo's
    amazing, unique ability to improve upon that flooring challenge.

Please post a picture of the completed ' Lo, floating bull-nose' into that
    topic .......... providing well deserved icing on his ' cake of ingenuity ' :cool:

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  13. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Sorry I'm a bit late to say welcome. I've been busy eating leftover ham sandwiches and otherwise lounging about and enjoying our Christmas break.

Welcome!

14. Ken M.

Ken M. Member

Thanks Mike, and my schedule is basically the same for now. Lots of interesting back and forth hopefully in the New Year... But, for fun... what's your opinion on floating floor installation in the humid and dry city of Vancouver. No squeaks wanted in the future!
    Thanks again,
    Ken.