Hazards and Concerns abut house contamination with Concrete dust

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Eric N Georgia, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Eric N Georgia

Eric N Georgia New Member

We recently had Alta Vista engineered hardwood floors installed and the installers cut around fireplace. As a result of inadequate cutting tools and containment, concrete dust spread throughout the house and HVAV ventilation system. I now find out that concrete and silica from cutting dust is carcinogenic and a potential health hazard. There are plenty of articles written about workplace safety and prevention but I can not located any information regarding proper remediation and and cleanup of carpet, ducting, upholstery, and other residential household items to remove or mitigate health hazards. Any references, checklists, or articles would be appreciated.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Damp soapy cloth on horizontal surfaces. Any vacuuming would need a Hepa filter. The A/C system you would change the filter, I would think in the A/C system it would be dissipated as if it’s heavy it’s resting inside and cannot be lifted, lighter than air it has simply gone back into air and settled in the interior environment.

For severe dust I have a blower 14k cfm exhausted to exterior, an air compressor and hose to separate and put into the air with open window or door to create a path to that sealed blower exhausting it to exterior.

Face mask will be a properly fit or disposable face mask rated P100 is my preference.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Or, I’ve heard a few stories of tile demo, an 8k$ bill to have a company come out and a thorough cleaning was done. Member here told me about a year ago, doesn’t participate much. Dry cleaning linens was involved. Your case is not as severe. I personally had a homeowners wife call me after the fact of him removing tile. The house was covered with dust everywhere, wall shelves, photograph pictures hanging etc. they had small kids too. Sad, I didn’t know whether I should’ve called child services.

Cigarettes I’m amazed they’re legal knowing how much cancer they cause and the manipulation of nicotine, and opioid drugs for killing people.

I’ve done the dusting of homes in the past, silica does cause cancer, it’s cumulative for the most part, as long as you’re now aware of its dangers you’ll be fine to know not to breathe it in the future. I see block masons, concrete finishers breathing it maybe few times a month on building sites still, I’m sure they know.

4. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

If the installer caused this mess call him over and see what he’s going to do to clean up your house
    He should know better but if he’s like some of these guys it’s your problem
    Well I’d be getting it cleaned up and then off to court.
    I spend tons of money on the right tools and to keep dust down
    It’s a OSHA rule

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I see that done in new houses being built, no one cares about what mess they leave for the floor guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pioneer Carpets

Pioneer Carpets Pro Member

The dust is most dangerous when it is in the air and particulates can be easily inhaled. That would be when the work is being performed or shortly after. Once it settles, it can be wiped up with damp rags on hard surfaces and linens will need to be washed.
    It wouldn't be the first time a flooring company paid to have cleaners come in behind them. But before you go hiring a team to come in with hazmat suits and do a complete remediation, I think that would be a little overkill.

• Agree Agree x 1