Hardwood Training

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Rodney Henderson, May 13, 2016.

1. Rodney Henderson

Rodney Henderson Pro Member

Who/What is the best organization to get trained in installing hardwood? I tried looking up those organizations on here but i havent had any luck, maybe one you guys could point me in the right direction?

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Hands Down, NWFA, highly credible well respected. I took the NOFMA course in Memphis late 90's. I don't know cost of 3 levels, but just basic may not be cost efficient, at least intermediate should be taken as well. It's good to work the field and have some experience prior to going.

We did some refinishing running the drum sanders etc. but nothing I would jump onto a homeowners house. Done a few for myself when results were not priority.

5. Rodney Henderson

Thanks alot guys! I do have a little experience, so i at least know some terminology and tools. Its just something i want to branch into and i figured taking classes on it would be easier than making time to work under somebody.

6. Mike Antonetti

I agree, you have initiative and enthusiasm. If you go to Surfaces one year, everyone is there, NWFA etc. you can see all your interests under one roof, be weary(cautious) of all the gimmicks, not many.

I think Surfaces was just in Chicago, but if you've never been to Vegas it's a great opportunity.

7. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

While I really recommend NWFA Technical Training, there's really no substitute for hands on experience. The two combined really does go a long way.

8. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

That's exactly how I feel about any kind of education and training in the construction trades. Certification is a lot more controversial because it inherently involves politics and money. But the best advice I ever got was to read EVERTHING related to our installations that you can get your hands on. There really wasn't that much in those days outside union apprenticeship programs as far as textbooks and curiculum. But there's always been some literature put out by manufacturer's related to how to handle their products.

I've done enough flooring and have been involved in enough hardwood work to know it's really not a good business to "dabble" in. Either you go all in or my recommendation is try something else.

If you work in any trade you WILL attend the School of Hard Knocks--------like it or not. Attendence is complulsory.

9. Rodney Henderson

Hands on Experience and the school of hard knocks are probably the best educators, however its still nice to have something pointing you in the right direction when you are just starting. Thanks for all the input guys, it always nice to have objective views on things.

10. Mike Antonetti

11. Rodney Henderson

Holy crap! That has to be the neatest thing i have heard of in a while. I winder if anybody on here has any experience with this setup?

I probably should have the whole thing more thoroughly...... Sometimes i jump the gun on things out of excitement.

12. Mike Antonetti

Rash decisions! Usually not the best one. Many factors go into a choice. I usually let about 4 or 5 reasons filter in before it's a go.

13. That's one step closer to the European model. After living in Germany for 5 years, I learned just how far behind we are when it comes to training and education of our trades (US and Canada...probably Australia and NZ as well). Plumbers and electricians have their own education required but much of the building trades are still "learn as you go" which sounds great in the 1800's wild wild west...but not so great in year 2000.

Love to see education being promoted. It leads to better paid work and fewer call backs. Both lead to more money in the pockets of the people who installed the product.

Awesome. I might just take a boo just to see what I can learn (no hands on for this bunny...strictly sales).