Hardwood floor cleaning help

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by CoyJam, Jun 9, 2017.

Which option should I go for ?

1. The first one ( spray mop )

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The second one ( regular mop )

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CoyJam

CoyJam New Member

Hey,

Me and my better half recently purchased a new hardwood flooring. Now that a couple of days have passed and the fitters are about to come and install it, I was wondering how should I be maintaining it.

Up until now I've always lived in places with a concrete/linoleum floor, so this is an unexplored territory.

My question is what would be the big difference between using this mop for wooden floors and one of these without the spraying thingy.

If I use the first one, would I be able to clean the floors faster than the second one, with having to run in front of it and spray from time to time ?

2. The SECOND link is the BEST option! The "jet mist" sprayer is a NO-NO on hardwood. The wood should NEVER be "sprayed". The liquid is to be put onto the PAD of the microfibre mop heads (as shown in second link) and then you push the mop around.

Direct spraying is not allowed (Bona knows better than that - but then again they hate losing to swiffer...so they produced their own version). The "lightly damp" mop head is what you are going for. So dry it almost FEELS dry. They only way you know there is moisture on it = a little cool to the touch. PERFECT! That's all you need.

And to be clear, the sweeping/dry dust mopping is 90% of your cleaning routine. Here's how I explain it to people who ask about wood floor cleaning:

1. Sweep/dry dust mop/vacuum (without beater bar) a few times per week.
    2. Once PER WEEK you will use a "water damp" microfibre mop...almost dry.
    3. Once or twice per MONTH (1-2/month) you will use the CLEANER - in lieu of the water-damp cleaning.

So in a nutshell, you should be using the CLEANER 1 per MONTH. The rest is dry dusting or a snick of water on the microfibre dust mop....and that's IT.

The OVER USE of cleaners is the BIGGEST mistake homeowners make. So go ahead and save some money and use a VERY ligthly damp mop head - water only - for most of your "damp" cleaning needs. It's cheap, it's easy and it's all that is needed.

And please stay away from "steam" of any sort and "natural cleaners"!!!! And Murphy's Oil Soap is OUT! 0-U-T! As in 3 strikes! OUT Verboten! Nix! Not allowed!

Wood is happy when things are kept simple. Sweeping/dry dusting is super simple.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I like the basic one, maybe not even the bona brand, just the spray cleaner and a micro fiber stick. So you'll be pushing that tank around, not easily maneuverable as just a plain cloth on a stick.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You should have a method of taking care of the floor from the maker of the wood floor you bought. No neither on the poll so no vote from me.