Hard surface on top of carpet.

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Jeremymg, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Jeremymg

Jeremymg New Member

Hello Flooring community,

My girlfriend and I recently move into an apartment and love the place. One thing we really don't like is that the kitchen table area is carpeted. The carpet was installed brand new before we moved in and it's a pretty thick pile carpet. We would rather have a hard surface under and around the table that would hold up better to spills and other messes.

One idea I had would be to use about 100sqft of tongue and groove laminate flooring placed on top of the carpet for around the kitchen table area. Would the laminate flooring stand up to the flexing due to the cushiness of the carpet below? Would this be a plausible solution to our problem?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I think the pile that's angled would push laminate, weight would probably break the joint. Something like office chair pads maybe, they have tabs underneath that lock in place.

3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

if you are super comitted... you could put plywood on top of the carpet and then some laminate but you have to be really comitted. Most helpful advice... love that carpet.

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Stay classy