Handling Large Carpet Rolls

Discussion in 'Floorcovering Installation & Maintenance Tips' started by Mike Antonetti, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Finally got somewhat of a system in handling large rolls of carpet and unloading out of a vehicle. I have hytrol rollers inside the trailer, it's a 10' section cut in half for easier loading and unloading since we're not full time carpet installers I take it off the trailer. Their the long rollers not the little wheels like the old metal roller skates which dimples the carpet.
    So two carpet carts, one small one and one regular size, the small one rests on the end of roll and keeps the roll up high enough to allow the regular cart to be put slightly off center under the roll as it's rolling off the trailer. No picking up roll or strain whatsoever, set the heavier end of the carpet on ground at an angle and dump cart/carpet over the direction you want to unroll it.
    What other ways are there, we tried some others but a lot more strenuous, I almost bought a deck over the wheels trailer, open though so rain would do damage, but the roll could roll right off side onto cart, little risky with the weight and inertia.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
  2. Ed

Ed Charter Member

I've had both types of rollers and both left marks especially when left overnight or over the weekend. The type you have is certainly the better of the two. I took my rollers out , too hard to work around. Instead I load it on the floor and when its time to unload I stick a regular two wheel dolly under it, raise it up by pulling down, and have my helper stick 2 or 3 pieces of pvc pipe under it for rollers. I work out of a box van and of coarse this would not work if in a regular van with the carpet hanging out of the back, there would be no place to put the dolly under the roll

3. Mike Antonetti

We have done that, the two wheel dolly gives excellent leverage for lifting up roll and putting some Dolly's underneath, in a parking lot the small dolly hit a lot of obstructions, but the larger movers dolly would work.
    I guess I could put plywood on top of rollers to prevent crush marks and backing distortion.
    Here's a job for a lowes installer they precut for them, and a picture of an installer loaded carpet.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
  4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Must be on a short box truck. I think just some sliders would get it done. I need something to get those rolls upstairs for me.

5. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

Lived in Florida for a couple of years and got to know the rug guys and how they worked. One guy had about a 1" rope and would tie it around the carpet as it was loaded into his van, fork lift. When he got to the job, mostly high rise condos, he would tie the end of the rope onto a post in the parking lot and then drive forward to get the carpet onto the parking lot. Then he and his helper would move it around and make cuts and get it upstairs in room size pieces. There wasn't much rain in Florida and the weather was nice most of the time. There were also some bridges that had cement areas under them and they could also go there and make cuts if the weather was bad, rain.

6. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

Back in the day when the semi showed up with the week's shipment of stock, I would back my station wagon up to the trailer and the driver would hook the hay rope onto my hitch and I would pull the rolls out to the end of trailer with one end down to the ground. We then would use the 2 wheel cart to gut them out of the trailer. I had a ramp built to get us over the 8" step into the building. We used an Iron Horse to work with the rolls after that. At a later date, the bosses bought me a fork lift, and my life got much easier after that. Since I did all of the measures, I figured all of the cuts and the installers had room size cuts to haul away. I loaded the larger cuts into the vans with the fork lift. The cuts were marked with size and room when they hit their trucks. The carpet was always rolled out prior to putting the knife to them in case there was any problem with the product. Since I knew the layout, any flaw or damage to the goods could in most cases be worked around so as to not have to delay the installation date. Ah, those were the days!
    Dick

7. Mike Antonetti

Ok I didn't ask the right way to do things uncle cliffie!
    Yup that's the perfect way to do it, with sub work they dump it on us, their measurements aren't always right, the layout they planned is not always best etc.etc. Yes those were the good ol days, the act is no longer together ! Nice to hear the right way every now and again.

8. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

Pull off truck with rope. With a truck and a trailer you'd need a large parking lot.
    As far as stairs go, I bunji strap the folded roll to an appliance dollie a pull it up. If a helper is handy he can push while I pull.

9. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I really take offense to the way you answered this He answered the way he did it in the past. At one time he did bull it off the truck as he mentioned, just the way most of us have had to do it in the past.
    Is there a right way? You get it off the best you can and into the job site. I'm sure Uncle Cliffie has forgotten more about carpet than most of us ever will. That's my 2 cents. Sometimes your answers suck.

:old:

Daris

10. Mike Antonetti

I actually really liked his answer, and was being facetious, yes we've hurt backs unloading , struggling, and it didn't move an inch, I just didn't want an ah ha moment where why didn't I think of that.
    I was actually complimenting uncle Cliffe, hard to decipher with just the words .
    I was also thinking of a dump trailer, though that's quite a few bucks.
    I represent myself, and no one else if you think some of my answers suck go ahead and tell me which ones other than that one which you took wrong, doesn't really matter, I don't get offended.(seriously) only makes one grow. So thanks Daris

11. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Please keep in mind, hardly anyone proof reads their posts. Not only do you get spelling and grammar mistakes, you get run-on sentences, absent punctuation and people that don't understand what they meant.

12. Mike Antonetti

I use to work for a company that made the cuts , that was so much easier, the machines that Lowes and Home Depot have (accu-cut)? Makes it easier as well.

13. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Hey Nate, we need a visual of that method, if you have one, because I'm having a hard time seeing the carpet set properly onto the 4'' metal lip of
    the hand truck.

Mike

14. Nate Hall

Except when the uncalibrated machine cuts short..:mad:

15. Mike Antonetti

I always added a bit extra or told the customer to round up or asked them exact measure to know to add more or charge less, say they needed 16'3" I'd write 16 and give em 16'6"
    Some guys didn't start the meter right where the cut is, it's a little tricky, the machine was a little fun though.

16. Jackreed

Jackreed jackreed Charter Member

Ahh " The Good Ole Days".

We use to unload like Uncle Cliffie with the hay rope. If you don't know what a hay rope is, It is a rope about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick. It was used to pull loose hay in the hay loft of a barn.

Any way we had rain one November and it froze and stayed all winter. Truck came with are carpet. First stop and on top of the pile about 120 ft. I backed the van up hooked up the rope and eased into it. All I could do is sit there and spin. Boss told me to take a run at it which I did. When that roll came out of the truck it flew about 40 feet in the air and slid another 40 feet on the pavement. If I would have had the doors open I think I could have caught it.

Ahh "The Good Ole Days":yesss::p

17. Nate Hall

I remember the door latch (on the floor) taking a nasty bite out of the rolls. We had a chunk of broom handle to prevent it after the first few.

18. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

Just a short note to add, after a disagreement over the management of the store I described, I walked away, since I did not own it, after 10 1/2 years as manager our differences were not repairable. That was in 1995, almost 20 years ago.
    Dick

19. Mike Antonetti

Didn't know how to extract the bottom line via tapatalk. " sometimes your answers suck"
    Oh, you must mean the Vacuum answers, thanks again,

20. Mike Antonetti

Also rolling out carpet when there's no driveway we would get visqueen or a large tarp to roll it out on. Or when there is a driveway and you have to use the leaf blower to keep the debris from sticking to the backing of the carpet and being installed with lumps under it, sof bac is like Velcro to debris on a driveway.