Grout width

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by Toronto77, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Toronto77

Toronto77 Rooky Trainee

What is the minimum grout width I can go on a 12x24 non rectified tile?

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

the minimum is not really the issue. You could go as tight as you want. The real thing you need to know is that the tighter the joints the harder it is to keep them looking good. Depending on your ability and the quality of your tile i would strongly recommend nothing smaller than 1/8 inch.

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I’d say 1/16”-1/8” just depends on application. Years ago 1/4” was standard, then 3/16”, now Decor is @ 1/8”, wise joints are out, along with Portland based grout that absorbs water and stains. If the tile repels, the grout shouldn’t absorb. Too many other options and products on market.

Grout Joint Size - The Tile Council of North America

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Check the box for the minimum joint size. Sometimes it's printed right on the box, and that's what you'll need to go by.

Otherwise, check the tile from several boxes and measure them carefully. There will be slight variations in the tile sizes, and whatever the largest variation is, multiply that times three to get the minimum grout joint width. In other words, if the tile vary 1/16" from the largest to the smallest, the joint width should be 3/16".

Setting most any tile with 1/8" joint can be challenging for a pro, so I would be careful of jumping in with both feet if you're a DIY'er.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

With the shape on the edge of tile the bottom is wider than top. The spacer placed at bottom makes the top look like a wider joint. Staying square is also a challenge with narrow joints.