Grout + mortar disposal practice

Discussion in 'Ceramic & Stone Sales and Installations' started by Mike Sliwinski, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

Recently installed carpet in a high-rise apartment building and found the slop tub clogged from grout / mortar :eek:

What should and can be done to prevent this mess ?
    funny, I think I posted about this problem before.

Mike

2. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

If we do any work like no place to clean out.
    I scrap as most of the thinset or grout out into a trash can
    Or old bucket then wash it out down stairs.
    I also let my old grout buckets of water set over night
    Then all the grout waste goes right to the bottom
    Then drain off the water and the rest of the slop goes into a bag or can.

3. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Same deal as epoxyman with all our patch buckets we use to mix and clean the Ardex. You have to let the particulates settle over night. Then pour off the fairly clean water into some dirt, asphalt or gravel where it will be rinsed by rain or otherwise not affect the landscpape/driveway/street.

The slimy mud then gets poured into trash cans, heavy duty trash bags or directly into dumpsters.

Even just cleaning off my hands and tools in the customers slop sink requires that you keep the water running long enough to get the muck down out of the building's plumbing into the larger sewer system that is going to be flushed enough to prevent hardening and blockage.

It's just common sense and common decency. Like not farting in an elevator.

4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

More room on the outside than on inside. Just saying.

:old:

Daris

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Non high rise I let the sediment settle, dump water across street sometimes along street line. Move mulch aside along border where no plants will be placed.
    Then scrape out waste.

The alkaline wastewater will kill vegetation. The marble company I worked for the superintendent told me they paid for some expensive palm tree replacements.

I've taken buckets of water away for disposal. For mortar I try to plan for setting till a certain time and using up mortar for no waste. A large brush and then rinse bucket and dumping waste into drill paddle rinsing bucket minimizes slurry.

6. HS345

HS345 Pro Member

I do the same as others. Pour off water after letting sit overnight, scrape what's left into bucket.

The easiest thing for me to do is, bring bucket lids and haul waste water home to pour out on my own property.

7. Mike Antonetti

Here's a high rise we lease a condo from, nowhere to pour anything. This could end up killing palm, kind of waterproofs the top.

Attached Files:

8. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

leaving a mess like that is just lazy.

9. Mike Antonetti

It is from lack of understanding ones actions. What are the results of a decision.

Basic science- as Mike Sliwinski asks what do you do with contaminated cleaning fluids? I've heard one of the crews that a company I worked for dumped epoxy clean up water down the mop room utility drain, well the solids collected down the drain line and trenching was necessary.

Also could be a lack of caring, they need their buckets cleaned, where that occurs may not be their concern.

10. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Yea a lot don't care just dump it and let someone else clean it up.
    I've seen guys over here in Daytona toss it off the 12th floor in condos. Or in the owners kitchen sink.

11. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I think it is a little bit of everything. Lack of knowledge, lack of respect and a lack of caring. Might as well just sign your name in the prep/ mud mixture. There is more to an install than just the install itself.