Grout for ceramic and bamboo transition

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by Wendy T., Sep 9, 2017.

1. Wendy T.

Wendy T. New Member

Hi all,

So, we have two contractor friends visiting from Germany helping us finish up our kitchen reno. They have been working in renovations for 30+ years and have favorite products from Germany. Our latest "set back" is trying to make a decision on what product to use (grout) between the ceramic kitchen tile and the bamboo living room floor. They use only Ottoseal S100 at home, but we can't get it here. Trying to find a reliable product that I can assure them professionals here use. They are very proud of their history of work and afraid to use a product here that doesn't have a good track record. Thank you in advance!!! (My husband just suggested a non-sanded grout from Home Depot, but they were hoping for something more proven.) Oh, grout line is about 1/4"

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I would be hesitant to use anything that won't allow the bamboo to do what it does with seasonal changes. If you are dead set against using a reducer of some sort, I would think a color match caulking would be your best bet.

3. Wendy T.

Wendy T. New Member

Ahh, good point. I will add that to our discussion. And I have no idea what I am doing.....just trying to translate between my DIYer English speaking hubby and two German speaking contractors using foreign materials for the first time. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks sometimes. Thank you!

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Most bamboo that I've done calls for a 3/4" expansion gap. Could you cheat that down a little? Prolly. But I would thing that you are just asking for trouble if you tried to eliminate it all together.

What are the finished heights of the bamboo and tile? You might be able to modify a reducer so as to leave an expansion space and yet not have a big ol honkin reducer sticking out like a sore thumb.

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Are you kidding me right now? This is Germany, more German products here than in Germany. A picture will help,

6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Ok, it's supposed to be matching T molding.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Try these guys. They will have a silicone matched to whatever grout color you have, and I think they even offer it in different "finishes" so it doesn't look so shiny. Silicone is much more durable than latex caulk.

Click on the "polysil" link on their home page.

• Like Like x 1