Great Floors, specialty floor covering retailer

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Mike Antonetti, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I’ve seen great floors, thought they were local and wondered how they survive in my area. Abbey who was another buying group a local company uses. The owner sold that company to a rich owners son. Think it was 85k for abbey rights 20 years ago.

I don’t get to see ads, that’s why I wanted a separate thread to see them.

2. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Great Floors is based out of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. They just expanded into Montana out in Bozeman and now they bought our store in Missoula. I heard they like to buy Abbey stores.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mike Antonetti

They need to buy this crap hole out or my favorite type of remodeling bulldozer style. They just bought the business, not the building. Went there for Duraceramic overstock, they didn’t have anything. The lady recommended sheet vinyl I told her I was an installer and didn’t even feel like cutting in sheet vinyl. So for 2 small bathrooms flooring @ 35ft each I can put in whatever I want and it is cheap. But I may demo it out when the total flooring will be replaced.

Attached Files:

4. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

5. Mike Antonetti

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  6. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Yeah I was gonna say, Great Floors is only WA/ID/MT

7. Mike Antonetti

8. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Correct. That's a different company.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

They have a couple stores in Portland. One was built on the old dump site so to me it lost points for that (it will always be a dump to me) and the one on 212/224 had a fake bull in a corral out front and always had some commercials with a slogan something like the home of no bull. I poked my head in their stores a time or two before over the years but they never inspired me to want to work for them.

10. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

All I know is we bid a job against abbey and got it, while working there I noticed the estimate sitting on the counter and a lot of the prices were what I wished I was getting. It was still a good job, but we were way low on underlayment tear out, and in the end almost $1200 cheaper on labor...and we’re usually the high labor bid!!

11. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

I asked around and apparently that's someone else. With such a generic name it doesn't surprise me much that there are lots of other businesses with the same name.

12. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

I used to work for a company called floor pro. There's a ton of business with the same names. Especially from state to state.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Twelve years ago, when I was ready to start this site, I googled "floor pros" and found several businesses with that name, but no websites, so that was the first domain name I tried to get. Unfortunately, the domain name was already registered, even though it wasn't a website.

I tried several other domain names and soon realized I was going to have to put "the" in front of it. "The Floor Pros" - with an S - was already taken, so I settled on "The Floor Pro." I already owned "floorcoveringPROS" dot com, but I had tried and failed with that domain once before, so it wasn't instilling a lot of confidence for me and I felt it was too long a name for people to remember easily. It wasn't until after we got rolling that I realized so many people were leaving off the "The" of this domain name when they referred to us on other websites and forums, or adding an "S" or both.

Frustrating. :(

14. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Crazy how one word or even letter can cause so much grief in the online world.

• Agree Agree x 1