got another one for ya: wall trimmer troubles

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Kap, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Kap

Kap Pro Member

Is anyone else having issues with their wall trimmers? The little tabs that hold the blades are constantly breaking or bending on me to the point they don't hold a blade. I have bought 4, and have had the supplier give me two, in the last 7 months. :(

2. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

a particular brand that's playing up for you ?

3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Years ago when shag came out we couldn't keep the blades in our trimmers in position either. I took and drilled a hole where the tab was supposed to be and put in a aviation rivet and filed the blade side flat. Never any problems after that. It was a Roberts trimmer. Still have the trimmer but not the plate, wore it out years ago.

:old:

Daris

4. Kap

Kap Pro Member

Roberts is the brand

5. Kap

Kap Pro Member

The rivets hold, it's the tab that bends or breaks off.

6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I have a roberts wall trimmer that literally would hold the blades from day one:mad: I have to insert the blades with the plate upside down so they don't fall to the floor and then tighten the trimmer knobs with the whole unit upside down, then they work fine.

7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

No problem with my 30 year old roberts trimmer....:coffee:

8. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

ditto...maybe they don't build 'em like they used to:(

9. Kap

Kap Pro Member

My first one is 29 years old.

10. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Baseplate bolts.
    That's the only part of my 20yr old Roberts trimmer that have failed.

I DO find that if I use cheap blades they tend to be slightly smaller and thinner and thereby tend to wiggle and break loose or just jam up with fiber sooner.

11. Daris Mulkin

Did the actual stud fail or was it the hold down nut? Years ago the hold down nut was more like a cap and would get fiber in them and not hold the plates tight. If you used a hold down nut that the stud went all the way through it would hold.

Daris

12. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

I am not a carpet guy, but I have used and every mechanic I know uses the Pro Knee Goof Proof wall trimmer.
    I have used it on all kinds of carpet tile, wall to wall, cushion back, etc...
    Works perfectly every time and no parts to break...
    Goof Proof Wall Trimmer « ProKnee

Don't know about using on T&P...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  13. Chris Sheafer

Chris Sheafer Published

I have had the same problems. But I blame my helpers. The springs holding down blades are bent up. Also... I dont beleave they ever clean out the groove. But.... quality is not what it once was.

14. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

My choice is crain, never a problem. Never could function right with a Roberts in hand.

15. Daris Mulkin

I haven't had to do it in recent years but when the springs would loose their tension I used to take a finish nail and lay under where it is like a little tunnel and then hit it with a hammer to make them lay back down.

Daris