Goof Proof Wall Trimmer!

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by kylenelson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Has anyone ever used this wall trimmer? ProKnee If it works it looks like it could be a great tool, but I find that too many wall trimmers don't perform as promised.
  2. mcbrides

mcbrides Canadian Installers Senior Member

Just make sure when you use it that there are no nails sticking out of the wall, you could ricochet off into the field of the carpet. Dave did that once many many years ago, and has declined to use one since. We back-cut most of the time, only topcut when baseboards are off.
  3. kylenelson

Haha, I can just imagine that happening. If there's trim then I will back cut as well. Usually with glue down carpet I will run down the whole wall with a stair tool to crease it and set it in the corner, then lay the stair tool flat on the ground and use it as a guide for my knife and just run down the wall. It cuts great like this!

I wonder how this thing works on vinyl.
  4. mcbrides

mcbrides Canadian Installers Senior Member

Rather than a stair tool, I use a very large lino knife as a tucking knife to crease down gd carpet, I also sometimes use it for tucking vinyl before cutting, although if baseboards are off, we have another set of dedicated vinyl hook knives we use to top cut vinyl.
  5. DJ

DJ Charter Member

look small:yesss: as there is no leverage:blink: i use my trusty crain:yesss:
  6. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

I have a Crain and a Roberts, They work equally well.
  7. Mike Costello

Mike Costello Pro Member

Its great for glue down. I have used it with base and without with good results

Doesnt work too well on vinyl at all but it rocks on carpet.
  8. kylenelson

Thanks for the input mike. Do you guys use your crain/roberts wall trimmers even on glue downs? I love the roberts wall trimmer and really disliked the crain one.
  9. getoverit

getoverit Pro Member

We've got a crew doing a 14,000 yd. remodel with C&A Powerbond and they're using what looks like an older model of that trimmer. They swear by it. Personally I've never used one but I've watched them with it and it looks good.
  10. DJ

DJ Charter Member

i have a roberts for glue down (it's made for glue downs/vinyl) :yesss: it has curves with carpet blades:blink: not trimmer blades in it.that are adjustable high and low thick or thin:yesss:
  11. kylenelson

Wait, are we both talking about this trimmer?: Carpet Wall Trimmer | ROBERTS Because mine uses carpet trimmer blades.

Oh and good call on renaming my thread :yesss:
  12. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton Senior Member Published

I think he might be talking about the attachment that can be purchased to trim vinyl and glue down cpt.

If I can find them I will take and post pics later today.
  13. Mike Costello

Mike Costello Pro Member

Actually I use this one pretty much all the time . Before that I just used my knife
  14. DJ

DJ Charter Member

could be an attachment:yesss:(if so i bought it assembled #10-905) it looks like a regular trimmer.just has the curved thingy) as my other ones are just black not red their old:yesss: i use the crain:yesss: i find it doesn't let blades loosen as the roberts do after the spring blade retaining clips break:eek: or become worn out. the crain locks them in:yesss:
  15. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

I still use a Roberts and a Crain, I bought both of them in the early 80's .Never had a problem with either one breaking or wearing out. I still trim glue-down carpet and vinyl by hand. Don't know that I would trust a trimmer on vinyl. The Crain is a "tucking trimmer" . I removed the tucking part right after I bought it. Didn't work on anything but very cheap crapet.
  16. Isabella Flooring

Isabella Flooring Pro Member

Do you think they will let you use it for 30 days before billing you??????
  17. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton Senior Member Published

Found them (2 days later) here are the pics. One is a vinyl attachment and the other is a glue down cpt attachment. The vinyl one I never did care for but it can be used with a hook blade (shown). The cpt attachment I have used a lot.

Attached Files:

18. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

I have one on those adapters some where. I believe it came with a white plastic piece that snapped on the bottom. I never tried it on vinyl.
    Get the Armstrong wall trimmer for vinyl. It works great.
  19. Al Gladden

Al Gladden stretcherman Charter Member

don, where do you get the armstrong cutter and what does it look like?
  20. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Al. Call Rick Hern at Armstrong in the Armstrong school. Tell him I said to send you one. They do work nice.