Going to the rescue

Discussion in 'Vinyl & Rubber Flooring Sales and Installations' started by kylenelson, Jul 10, 2020.

1. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Started my day by being told I should help an “installer “ get started on a bathroom he wasn’t real comfortable with. Okay, no big deal, i go there and quickly realize this “installer” hadn’t a clue about anything and brought a tool box that looked like it was picked from the toy aisle at walmart. Hey, I get it, when you’re starting out things can be rough. I set the guy up by getting the floor laid out and a few planks clicked together. I should be good to go I thought. I left him a couple of what I deemed necessary tools of my own. Then headed to go to our next job, ‘twas supposed to be an easy day of little jobs. Get told less than an hour later that the “installer” left the job and said he couldn’t do it. Had to go spend the rest of my day doing a bathroom that was already severely underbid. Not a great friday.

Attached Files:

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. My hats off to the guy that left, than one who stays and F’s it up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. That's a click together Kyle?

4. kylenelson

yep, would have been much easier without a locking mechanism

5. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Man, you got some funky flooring voodoo going on to do that, hats off sir

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. kylenelson

two guys (me and helper) took six hours to pull toilet and base and install floor. Going in to the little closet and under jambs really ate up my time. Not to mention there are two different planks ( marked a and b) that you have to sort through with cuts. Pure evil. I told shop it should have been bid by the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kylenelson

yep, no doubt! I told him he made the right choice! I’ve seen the guy that stays and screws it up, lots of tacker staples in that guy’s rubber base! I told the store that the guy they sent was barely fit as a helper, but it gets real desperate here in the summer time to find help.

8. kylenelson

I told my helper, this is a pro bono job, sometimes you have to be the guy to eat a sh*t sandwich in order to be the guy to get the prime rib jobs. We just got off one of those so I cannot complain too much.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

It’s a balancing act. Just like being married and walking that fine line between I can’t imagine living without you and you can go fly a kite. High 5 to you for pulling it off.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. kylenelson

yep, and the people that don’t get it make less money and get divorced.

11. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

There is a reason for everything that crosses our path.

12. That’s a way to establish seniority. As the topic states. We all see your character Brother Kyle, Nice Work!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  13. Chris 45

I wonder if it would have been quicker to just pattern that bathroom then transfer the pattern to dry laid planks in the garage. I’d think you could have ditched the helper then but somebody has to pull n reset the toilet;)

14. kylenelson

Yeah, I actually thought of that when I got the other guy going, he said he had never made a pattern so I figured this wasn’t the day. I think I could have done it faster that way for sure. Should have never been a two guy bathroom but I kept my helper busy the whole day surprisingly.

15. OK, this vinyl strip floors came out after I retired. I know how to pattern scribe a room, cut my teeth on Armstrong Solarian, Brigantine, Palestra, Seagate, all the heavy duty commercial floors. Would you have to put it together in the garage and then drop your pattern on it? The question is how do you pick that thing up and put it in the room? Piece by piece? Does it lay flat or does it require glue? I needs to know. :)

16. Chris 45

For something like that I would have clicked it together then put the pattern on top and marked it out. Then I’d take it apart, cut my pieces and reassembled it in place in the bathroom.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. You said it man. Sometimes you just have to take one on the chin.
    On the plus side, I'm sure that was a happy customer & they no doubt paid their balance. Happy customer = happy shop & I'm sure their grateful you saved the job. Its a 2 way street!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I like that idea assuming you had the space & time.
    As much as I like the outcome of Kyle's craftsmanship, I already hate that product!!
    Its clearly designed as a DIY product that a DIY'ER could literally take all the time they need to get it together. It's a paid installers nightmare!!!

19. One more thing, shame on your shop to dump that on some green kid.
    Yeah it's a small area, but that small area requires more skill than a regular installation 10x its size!

Gotta love the sales team!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. 100% correct. Lay it the long way or across the short side of the room, easy, herringbone, real tough with all the angles.