glue just the edges of vinyl floor or the whole thing?

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by handy-nani, Sep 3, 2006.

1. handy-nani

handy-nani Guest

somewhere I heard to glue just around the edges of vinyl floors insted to the whole thing. is that a good way to do a small area? I have picked a mannington aurora which is not real expensive and am going to lay it myself in the half bath. I boght a new toilet and want to put in a new floor before the toilet.
    thanks nanci

2. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Traitor

Some Vinyl needs to be full spread ,and some around the edges .. Make sure you put a new wax seal when installing the toilet .. new bolts won't hurt either ..The Aurora permflex is a perimeter glue install , the other two versions of aurora are full spread ..

3. stullis

stullis Charter Member Senior Member

In a bathroom? I hope you got the full spread version.

4. hookknife

hookknife Hard Surface Installer Charter Member Senior Member

5. handy-nani

handy-nani Guest

it is a half bath with no shower or tub. the plumber will install the new toilet which is in pieces. the manington aurora is a remnent and has a backing that you can peel of like paper in small pieces. is this kind for gluing around the edges or all over? the room is only 4X6 feet. there is an old vinyl floor that is glued all over nothing wrong with it just ugly. I wanted to glue just the edges so it doesnt follow the tile shapes which are a diferent size.
    thanks nanci

6. hookknife

Mannington v-61 adhesive, follow the directions on the label, you can also buy some embossing leveler to fill in the pattern of the old vinyl before you install youre new vinyl, thus youre old pattern will not show through youre new floor:)

7. stullis

stullis Charter Member Senior Member

Just loose lay it, no glue at all.

8. Floorguy

Floorguy The Living Dead Charter Member Senior Member

I agree. Get it real hot. loose lay it, not cutting it in tight and put trim molding on

9. hookknife

Im not sure if mannington, would like it loose laid over existing vinyl?????
    but even loose laid ---you will still have to glue around heat vents, toilets any seams etc.:)

10. handy-nani

handy-nani Guest

the directions didn't say no new vinyl on top of old vinyl. can you tell me what might go wrong with that. I like the idea of no glue at all except around where the tiolet goes. I can take off oall the base boards and put them back after I put the vinyl down but what about the doorway? shold I take the door frame apart? that would be alot of work. if I put the vinyl down with no glue do I still need the embosing leveling? what is that because the hardware store doesnt know.
    thanks nanci

11. tony lamar

tony lamar Charter Member

As long as the old vinyl is weel stuck "EVERYWHERE", there's no problem. After you pull the base boards, check for loose or curling up edges. If there's just a little on the edges, cut the loose parts off and you could fill the voids with a little floor patch. As far as glueing around the toilet, that shouldn't be necassary as the stool will pin it down anyway. Regarding the door jamb, lay a scrap of the vinyl next to it to establish the hieghth, and use a hand saw to "under cut" the jamb. This way, you can trim the vinyl slightly (1/8" to 1/4") longer than net, and slip it under the jamb which gives a nice look and helps prevent the edge from curling up later. the embossing levelor wouldn't hurt. I've seen telegraphing of the old pattern even on perimeter glue goods. It is basically cementious floor patch with a special additive. You can also buy it premixed. You wouldn't need much so the cost would be minimal and the results could only be all the better. You can find it at home centers like Lowes or Home Depot or perhaps a floor covering shop. Good luck and have fun (hehehe)!!!!

12. hookknife

Like Tony is saying, the embossing leveler is a good insurance policy to keep the old pattern from showing through, I dont personally think going over the old vinyl would be a problem:) It was was a thought considering how well the old vinyl was bonded:D

13. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Undercutting the door casing is a good idea. It will allow you to cut the material a little heavy and tuck it into the cut. Use a putty knife or even a regular table knife to tuck with. You have to be careful you don't cut or tear the material.

I'm not sure if Tony meant that your saw should be on top of a piece of scrap while undercutting the casing. Aurora is not very thick -- it's actually about the thickness of most hand saw blades. You should lay the saw flat on the floor when you make the cut. A scrap under it might make too large a gap. Of course, use the new vinyl and the edge of your saw to determine if that is what will work. :)

Good luck,

Jim