Glue down of tack strips for carpet install over ceramic tile

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by TrboMan, Feb 13, 2020.

1. TrboMan

TrboMan Member

Hi folks,

I will be having a wool carpet and synthetic felt/fiber pad installed over an existing ceramic tile floor, which is on a concrete slab.

I'm not sure if this is a well known fact, but ceramic tile even today may contain lead in the glazing...the paint laws did not apply to tile since it is locked in a glaze. Obviously this becomes and issue if the tile is destroyed or sanded.

I had mine tested and they do contain lead. Most do. But the methods used to install the carpet is a concern as I have small children.

I'm having my carpet installed over this tile. The grout lines will also be skim coated to avoid any lines eventually telegraphing through. The installer said neither the glue down of the strips nor the skim coating would involve any kind of scuffing or sanding of the tile to try to improve adhesion, he said that's not necessary...which is good.

He did say the tack strips, in addition to the glue, would be nailed at the grout lines. Is this necessary? Another installer had told me that he would glue only, no nails...but would come glue the strips one day, then install the next. The installer I am using says the job can be done in one day. My concern is that the grout lines are small and nailing may still chip the tile up which would potentially release lead. I'm using this installer because he is also a dealer for the carpet I selected, wanted to keep it all under one roof.

Are most glues strong enough to be used on their own to hold down the tack strip and would I be reasonable in asking if nailing could be avoided? I read that some glues do allow you to stretch the carpet in on the same day. The tile is glazed but matte.

Thanks for any advice! I absolutely hate telling a professional what to do regarding installation procedures...in this one case it's simply a matter of health/safety.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If you used a ureathane type contruction adhesive I think it would hold, but you would have to spray/mist water as you go after a bead of glue is put down. Water is the drying agent for a solid bond. Just don't get any on your hands when doing it because then you have to wear it off. They say 2 hrs dry time but I'd give it over night just to be sure. Done this many times.

:old:

Daris

3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Jet tack works like a champ but it does cost more than a tube of construction adhesive.

4. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Go with the two day installation method and have peace of mind.

5. TrboMan

TrboMan Member

Thanks guys. I have to see if this installer would do a 2 day install. I assume they would add nails not so much for long term strength but rather so they can stretch immediately? I'll have to call them back...I'd be ok with some nails as long as they were sure they would not chip any tiles while nailing into the grout.

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

Or as a clamping method. Fasteners will help the bonding. If your installer wants to use nails into the grout lines, let them. It won't hurt.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. TrboMan

TrboMan Member

I'm sure the nails make it a more secure install..I'm just concerned that the could damage the tiles, which contain lead.

8. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

While it may be possible to accidentally hit a tile when aiming for the grout lines, your children's exposure to lead still wouldn't be as great as just walking around outside. If you are really worried, keep your children away from the installation work and ask your installer to vacuum the finished tackstrip job with HEPA Filters and again after the carpet job is done.

9. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

My youngest granddaugther had a issue with lead. She got it from eatting paint chips from a window on a 100+ year old farm house. I attended classes on lead as most contractors in Michigan had to. If the lead is enscapulated it is no problem. If in the process of installing the carpet which I'm sure there won't be but if any dust is stirred up just make sure the room has all doorways and vents covered. This is when it is nice to have the zippered enclosures. Then before anyone[kids under 6 and pregnant women] are allowed in the in the room make sure you vac with Hepa filter and dust where you can run a white glove over sills door jams things like this. The kids 6 and under and pregnant women are most susepticle for the poisoning.
    If llead was that big of a deal you would have painters falling like flies.

:old:

Daris

• Agree Agree x 1