Glue down LVT planks on cold cold basement floor

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Uphilli, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Uphilli

Uphilli New Member

Hey all;
    We are leaning very heavily towards a glue down LVT product on our below grade basement floor in our vacation home in mid Michigan. The question that I have is the temp of the basement and basement concrete floor. It's cold down there, in summer maybe 63 degrees and in the winter the house is unused but we keep temp to about 50 at the thermostat. The concrete floor feels cold, and I imagine its maybe 10 or 15 degrees colder than air temp.
    So will the adhesive work at those temps? What about during install? The one product says temp should be 65 degrees...is that typically room temp or floor temp? Can I use the adhesive on very cold floors?

Thanks

2. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

65 is required yes but... I had to walk away form job the other day because of this, floor to cold. Temp. is very important for the install and glue. Temp. also important to maintain after install. Concrete is always colder than room temp. also. Bring room to 65 for min. of 24. hrs. with glue and lvt still in box but in the room, install and enjoy!

3. Uphilli

Uphilli New Member

Thanks...so bringing room temp to 65+ for min of 24 hours is ok for install, but we won't be able to maintain that, especially in the winter. So will that make the adhesive too brittle? Are there any additives that one can add to the glue to keep it performing well on cold concrete?

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Very good question, all you have to do is get the cold temperature adhesive, and cold temperature flooring and whammo, uh, but I dont think they make that yet. I would extend that even further and go 72 hours before, all during and 72 hours after. Follow all the proper floor prep procedures and install instructions esp. rolling.
    All of this, some would call extra effort will pay off with the end result in peace of mind and possible/likely problems in future. I think the 50degree down the road is fine, if your using pressure sensitive adhesive, it stays flexible. I think it is a wise choice of lvt/p for the basement.

5. Uphilli

Uphilli New Member

Thanks for the info. We did rule out any of the floating LVT/P since we think that if basement ever floods (the washer is down there as well as water heater, and the place is unoccupied sometimes for more than a week) it could create mold issues. I think Plan B if most think that the cold concrete just won't allow the glue to hold long term will be to strip paint off of floor and do some sort of concrete stain or polishing.

6. Mike Antonetti

Ok, just throw the painted floor in the equation, yeah then you might have problems when you cover over paint with vinyl glue down plank. Unable to transfer water vapor, paint will probably blister causing separation. That is your weak link. The glue will stick to LVT/P and it would stick to paint (somewhat) but would loose bond to slab in spots
    We are at a disadvantage when not enough info is available and a general question is asked, glad you added additional info prior to moving forward, I covered myself when I said follow proper floor prep and install, instructions would have said free from Paint. As on the highway, slow down- construction zone.

7. Uphilli

Uphilli New Member

Yep, sorry. The floor is painted, guess I didn't think about that part since there's no (current) issues with the floor today. Probably best to talk with local flooring pro since they'll know what works best in the local area with the cold basements.

8. Mike Antonetti

There could be moisture issues as well.
    That's good thinking, a tried and true method of others in the area.
    The decor and use will help you determine also. Cracks in slab if you choose tile would need to be addressed.
    Floating LVT might not be a bad option, you wouldn't have to remove paint, mildew doesn't like cold too much, and there is no food source for the mildew which it needs to grow, just darkness which it does like,