Glue down carpet

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Randy, May 15, 2006.

1. Randy

Randy Charter Member

Any suggestions on a glue down for a Church. I dont have a rental shop around so thats out. Am I going to have to hand trowel 3500 sq ft or you guys have an idea???

2. FloorCraft

FloorCraft Just another floor guy Charter Member

Wow! You gotta be kiddin'!

That's less than 400 yards.

Have always troweled. Only used the sprayer on two jobs and both were demos for the sprayer.

Hire a grunt to help trowel.

3. Danny Ferguson

Danny Ferguson Abbey Carpet & Floor Charter Member

One guy spreadin and one guy rollin and cuttin.:D

4. Daniel Wachtel

Daniel Wachtel Charter Member

We are trowelling a 7000 yard nursing home.

Sprayers are notorious for not giving deep enough coverage to reach the primary backing of most carpets.

5. Randy

Randy Charter Member

Thats what I thought.. We live up here in the back woods and dont have that modern tech you all have in the cities.

6. Daniel Wachtel

Daniel Wachtel Charter Member

Randy, what part of Pa. are you in?

7. Randy

Randy Charter Member

Daniel, we are in warren about 1 1/2 East of Erie

8. tony lamar

tony lamar Charter Member

All that trowelling will toughen up those callouses. (after they quit bleeding);)

9. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Traitor

i have done both , and dont wish to do either again .. They are real night mares , Make sure you dont short change yourself on the price ..

10. Randy

Randy Charter Member

Yea Tony your right on the bleeding. Seems like the older I get the more it hurts thou.

11. Randy

Randy Charter Member

Thats the only nice thing up here Nick is the wages do seem pretty good for doing installs.

12. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

400 yards of glue down is only a couple days work.

13. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Traitor

Not in a church rusty .. i did one where every time i set up and started to work , i had to stop so they could have a mass .. Plus all the pews you have to cut in .. I just dont want to see randy get hurt ..

14. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Yeah, I love a big glue-down job. Most of the time it's easy money. And if I can get a wood base (or covebase too) job out of it, I'm a happy guy. :) I've never used a sprayer. Most of my glue-downs aren't that big, but I did a 100sy church meeting room in about half a day once, including extra for prep. I've done a number of offices and such that have been pretty straight forward. I like the ones where the only seams are doorways. hehehe

Jim

15. Randy

Randy Charter Member

Your right on Nick first thing I was told today was you cant install on this date and you have to be done with that room by Sunday.I see a lot of night work.

16. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Had a 4 man crew install a church just last week. 425 yds enhancer back, done in nine hours. Trowel spread.

17. FloorCraft

FloorCraft Just another floor guy Charter Member

Cut in pews?!:eek:

Always prefer to have them moved, or, move them myself. Can't even think of one I did where they weren't moved.

How do ya even get the rug in place?:hu:

Just wondering.

18. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Traitor

they were only recessed a foot into the row .. but on a big Church , thats a lot of reducer , and cutting ..

19. Al Gladden

Al Gladden stretcherman Charter Member

jeez...i can glue 400 yards by myself in one day........

20. Randy

Randy Charter Member

Oh I forgot to mention...there is three offices a stage three sets of steps an entrance area the sanctuary.Whats the time frame now????