Getting ready for winter

Discussion in 'Taking a Break From Flooring' started by Tom Potter, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Decided this year to remove my head from my ass & get on it early. My primary heat source is a wood stove (secondary is heating oil but EXPENSIVE). Over the years I have found it extremely difficult to get a solid wood supplier. It either stacks short, cut short, unseasoned, shit softwood, over priced, muddy,.....list goes on. Seems like everyone I try isn't 100%
    This year I said eff em. Bought a splitter & got ahold of a logger from a mutual friend. Paid $700 for a truck load of good hardwood. That will stack 22-25 face cord. A face cord of seasoned split goes for $70-75 in my area. So my savings this year paid for my equipment. Now I'll have good, dry wood cut the way I want it.

This year I'm on it! Last year was brutal with temps around -30f for a while. Not playing around anymore. I been caught with my pants down too many times.

Anyone else heat with wood? I'm in the country so no natural gas. Its either wood, electric, or fuel delivery. It sure would be nice to get gas run down my way. Hell, water & sewer while their at it would be the nuts too.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

What about wood pellets? I did it a few years, everything cut and split myself. Getting up in middle of night was no fun to throw logs on.

What about those outside burners like an outhouse that somehow pipes heat in.

I was thinking today maybe 4 more months of heat.

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Propane all the way, baby. Even before my lungs gave out, I didn't like wood heat. I got better things to do with my time and I much prefer flicking a switch/dial than stoking a fire. Unfortunately, my only heat source the last 12 years has been electric. It's still better than wood for me and it's included in the rent.

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

We used to be on heating oil back when we bought the house. Did that until desert storm when the oil tripled in price. I put in a pellet stove at auction 30 years ago and use that only when it is 10 or below. My primary is electric furnace which is the cheapest heating here overall. If you pay up front to heat pump it is more. When I was still living at home my dad would get truck loads of wood to work on all summer, easier than going to get it.

5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

we have really low electric prices compared to most places. Electric and wood are popular here.

6. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Electric is outrageous in my area. I have a pellet stove. I really wasn't a fan of it so now its sitting in my garage.
    I replaced that with a Fisher mama bear wood stove ( Big, heavy, quality stove) but it was way too big for my house & unefficent. Pulled that out & put in my shop for heat. Then got a nice air tight with front glass & a blower. Great investment! It's so efficient you dont even have to have a dampener on the chimney. It cut my wood usage almost in half. I do on average about 10 face cord a year.
    I keep a full tank of oil too. I fill that every 5-6 years. I like both so if we go out of town, were at work, im running late or I just am too tired to haul in some wood. Also I dont want to have to wake up at 3am to feed the stove.

Wood is definitely a lot of work but the heat is a cozy heat. But again, if natural gas came down my way, cozy heat would be kicked to the curb!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I heat with wood, only wood and nothing but wood. Wouldn't have it any other way. I bought the place and the next day had a guy coming to install a wood stove. I made the unfortunate mistake of trying to save money cutting wood one year, went out to a licensed wood lot and got to work.... Long story short, I will gladly pay for a cord of wood... very gladly!!

Paying about 250 for a measured cord... at leat when you account for the shifty shift they pull :)

8. Red

Red Canadian Redneck Charter Member

Been heating with nothing but wood for the better part of 20 years now. 12 years ago when we moved to our current place we ran N gas for the first winter. The bill was 80 bux a month (for 12 months) on the budget plan so the next year I installed the old Fisher we took from the old place and my heat bill cost me $120.00 for the year. The wife and I usually go out to the forest and get our own but getting older (58) and having had a stroke 5 years ago it's becoming a huge task, so this year we bought 3 cords from a local so all we had to do is split and stack. We already had our wood leantos half full so we're ready for winter. A week ago we cut down a 70 foot pain in the a$$ maple tree that will be a start of the following winters wood supply.
    We burn about 4-6 cords a year between our mobile and my shop/music room. I'm very glad we've got it all done this early. No giving up fall golfing to go collect wood in the forest. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Yeah, I have been caught with my pants down too many times. My wood supply is dry & ready to roll this year.
    I am proud to say I have finally removed my head from my ass & got everything all set so I don't have to scramble around in October to find dry firewood. It only took 10 years of burning myself.

I'm actually considering getting another load of logs to get ahead for next year.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

Here's how I do firewood.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Atta boy. Did you fell all that yourself or buy?
    I just bought 30 /cord for the shop today. We have a Fisher papa bear to keep the area by the sales staff toasty. Cut, split, delivered dry mixed hardwood @ $65 a /cord =$1950. And that's actually cheap. I know the guy & he gives me a break for buying so many. Normally $70

Wood prices in my area have gone up a lot in the last few years. If I didn't cut & split my own I would be better off switching to propane.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

I know a farmer that also works HVAC. In his slower time of the year he logs on his farm, creating more pasture. These are scrag logs. They sell for sawing into pallet lumber and are cheap.

13. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Here the price is $165 a cord or more if its split. And we live in the trees.

14. Mike Antonetti

Thing I don’t get about wood heat is the fire can be +1000 degrees and it raises the internal temp 10-50 degrees. Where does the supply air come from? Bringing outside cold air in?

I been cutting down some trees with my 18 volt rigid sawzall and pruning blade works awesome, Cutting flush with ground or slightly below doesn’t kill The blade like a few chain saw blades. letting set a few days and burning away to thin our property.

Attached Files:

15. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

That's actually cheap. In my area we go by /cord (face cord). So the going rate is 70 /cord & 210 for the whole cord.
    Prices have gone up in my area because a lot of people are turning to wood to try to save a buck. Also Ft Drum has a wood burning power plant. And they use a lot. With so much demand the price has doubled in less than 10 years.

I know a guy that does residential tree trimming/ falling. He saves what he cuts & sells to me & another guy. Works great for everyone involved. He gets some pocket jingle & I get my heat. Win win

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mike Antonetti

So you’re going to get one of these? Wife sent me this video years ago. Kind of sloppy it doesn’t stack and palletize.