Garage floor

Discussion in 'Concrete Floor Finishes' started by kwfloors, Sep 30, 2017.

1. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Finished up this small garage. Turned out nice.

phone 584.jpg phone 586.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Oooo, pretty. What's gonna cover that gap at the bottom of the base? Is that part of your job, or someone else's?

3. kwfloors

No, its in a condo community and it was built 10 years ago or so. They just redid the unit with wood and I bet they'll add a trim to that base as I see this a lot. I might get to do their other garage that stores his corvette. When I was doing it, the unit owner next door grabbed me about how much to do his double garage.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Yeah, that work spreads by site. Looks good, I'd trim it out with plastic molding so water won't damage it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kwfloors

I think that's why they held it up when it was built. It would be nice to jump door to door doing all the garages. There probably is 50 or so. Most have paint that is failing like in my before pic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Looks good kw
    Does this keep you busy as compared to normal flooring like carpet etc percentage wise

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  7. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Does the spray on product do anything for the big nasty crack? What is the procedure to handle that and how do you prevent it from coming back?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. kwfloors

Vortex has a dual cartridge unit called vertical joint filler that dries in like 5 minutes and actually can set up as your pushing threw the mixer on the end of your caulking gun. I like to squeeze it continuously til I am done to prevent that but it works good. Its not a hard filler, little flexible. I haven't seen anything come back to haunt me. I've also been using Uzin patch for the spider cracks mixed with water and latex and its been good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

That's some nice work you do.

I keep wanting to get my feet wet in epoxy floors but have no idea how to start. Watched some lads doing epoxy coat with broad cast silica one day and was blown away.

Nice work!

10. kwfloors

Another thing I could do is do the sprayliner first and that would bridge cracks and then do the paint flake over that. I charge double for that and haven't ever done that myself but other dealers have. Then there are the rubber floors I've been looking at and trying to get into for some of the more difficult cracks and joint areas to offer for those instead of Vortex.

11. kwfloors

Its not that hard, Mark. Its been a longest learning curve of anything I have done and still learning every time. I looked at Vortex at Surfaces for 7 years before I jumped in. I trust the poly product that it is and have floors out there, inside and out, from 10 years ago that still look like I did them yesterday. This industry is changing all the time just like everything else. I'm getting more and more work with it but still not a steady job so that is why I'm still doing carpet and everything else too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I'm dumb enough to try just about anything. If I can wrap my head around the concept my skill usually pulls my ass round enough to get by. Just starting to see them everywhere and frankly I think for good reason. It is a good product.