Garage floor options afterAsbestos mastic removal

Discussion in 'Concrete Floor Finishes' started by Frank P, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Frank P

Frank P Member

I have been living in my home for 5 years not knowing the black glue on the floor of my garage contained asbestos . I had it tested and was positive. I am having an abatement company remove it , approximately 400 sq feet . I was told after removal and cleaning of mastic they will place an encapsulating sealer on floor . I am not sure what type of finish to place after this is done . The floor has some cracks . I was thinking putting some type of leveling concrete to fill in cracks and add an extra encapsulating level . I've been looking at some epoxy paints and interlocking tiles from armor poxy ,I also saw linoleum roll you can roll out . There are so many options . I wAnt to do it myself to save some $$ . Any ideas from the pros ?

2. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I wonder if you mean vinyl instead linoleum? They are entirely different products. Vinyl, you might as you say just roll out, but lino is a lot harder to lay. Most layers here will not touch lino as its too hard to lay

3. Frank P

Frank P Member

Thanks for reply , Yes Jon it is vinyl , is this product good for my garage situation? Is it difficult to apply ? Is it something that needs to be glued? Or should I consider another product ?

4. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Being a garage floor is be surprised if there were a moisture barrier under the slab. Moisture vapor emission is an issue we all have to address. After the adhesive is abated tape a two foot square piece of 6mil plastic to the slab. Leave it for 24 hours and see if there is any condensation or discoloration of the slab.

5. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Are you using as a garage for your car as most vinyls don't like rubber sitting on them due to a chemical reaction between the two
    Everybody here is using this
    Garage Carpet | Garage Flooring

6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

7. Looks like a problem solving product for sure. The one thing that is a bit scary to me though is how they recommend getting rid of the oil and contaminants from the substrate. They have you use a torch to burn them out. The torch they show is similar to the ones we use to warm VCT for removal or to form it to drains and things. Better make sure the fire insurance is paid up! :) I'm also wondering how this would work once the abatement company applies the sealer as the instructions seem to suggest that the concrete needs to be porous to achieve a proper bond. Still a pretty cool product though. Thanks KW!

8. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Ken sure does seem to find all the liquids in the industry.

I wouldn't bond anything to a slab that is not made specifically as a system for moisture mitigation, and only if the encapsulating liquid was mechanically removed and pores of slab opened up.

So my question to asbestos abatement companies is: when everything is barricaded in and CDC ok's area for biological warfare containment zone, why do you not grind slab allowing products to be adhered to slab, either water vapor mitigating systems, or flooring product direct?

9. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

shot blast the floor and then put down a moisture mitigation as in Koster
    its going to cost but will last a very long time

Ron.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Frank P

Frank P Member

I don't use the garage for my vehicles it's more like laundry / storage lol!! , the process the abatement co explained was that they pour a solution to loosen mastic and then use diamond grinder for mastic embedded deep in concrete then clean it up and then sealer to encapsulate , I will call abatement co to get sealer name . Would it be a good idea to not have them seal it , and then apply some type of self leveling product ? Or would I able to apply self leveling product over encapsulating sealer like ardex or koster ? Or just leave it with encapsulating sealer and use some type of inter locking tile system ? Thnks for all the replies , there is so much to consider , some what confused at to what route to take

11. Mike Antonetti

Probably using bean e doo to dissolve thick adhesive to the point where concrete is stained from adhesive, then when they can't scrub out any more, they lock it in. So basically they never get to virgin slab. You have other issues as stated above, moisture, and if it pitches, leveling if so desired. You can pour couple grand minimum in material alone should you find someone familiar with moisture mitigation and floor leveling.

12. kwfloors

I think he wants to do it himself.

13. Mike Antonetti

So it's just the mastic you been walking on? How much do they want to remove?

I would probably remove myself to save that cost as a homeowner.

In my area they are now putting moisture barrier down in garage, not so in past. So bonding new flooring to slab will show some sort of failure down the road.

The bean e doo oil just breaks down the asphalt adhesive mix, razor scrape, stain residue left over. At that point is where fibers may get into air by grinding, that is when they would use encapsulated, I don't think they grind to point of removal.

14. Frank P

Frank P Member

Yes I've been walking on black mastic only . They are charging $1,200 to remove approx 400 sq feet . I had done research before looking into abatement co , I found bean e door and considered doing it myself , but read lots of reviews some good and some made it seem like it gets really messy. If I do consider doing it myself what can I seal or stain floor with after clean up? What is moisture barrier ? What is a good moisture barrier product ? If I decide to have it abated, what can I stain it with can I puut this moisture barrier over encapsulating sealer ? Or can I put some kind of concrete leveler . I'm not to concerned as to how it looks , it looks bad now , just wasn't aware about this mastic before.

15. Mike Antonetti

I can't advise removing asbestos adhesive, if it gets airborne it can be inhaled which years down the road may be harmful. Just seems like they do not totally remove and give you pure concrete. But if there's no visqueen under the garage, then moisture vapor can migrate upward into the flooring and damage it.

So then there are surface moisture mitigation systems which are also pricey, proper prep must be done for that as well. You can have floating vinyl, or breathable material, say carpet where moisture will travel through and evacuated by natural ventilation. The sheet vinyl may yellow if put directly over cutback adhesive, dark color may not show.

So it's your call as to how you want to proceed, just giving you some options.

A picture close up will help to see its thickness. There's even cutback adhesive you can use without asbestos to put vinyl tile back down over existing cutback,not usually stocked but ordered.

16. Frank P

Frank P Member

IMG_6159.JPG IMG_6161.JPG

Mike I really appreciate all your input . As you can see in pictures it's not that thick been walking on it for 5years , some areas of garage have more than others . If go the route of having abatement done , and they encapsulate can I just use vinyl roll or some type of flex locking tile over floor is this what you meant by floating vinyl floor ? What is the name of the adhesive that can go over cutback ? , or would I be able to use some type of self stick vinyl tile ? I'm just trying to save some $$ , but also concerned about mastic on floor , I know I've been walking on it for 5 years , but you start reading about it and they scare you

17. kwfloors

I've covered plenty of cutback with my Vortex products no problem. 0320133550.jpg 0323160010.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mike Antonetti

Your state has its guidelines that a homeowner can remove. Something like wet scrape, bag, dispose according to local regulations(contact landfill) but that gets the thick stuff. Then the patch companies do not say to go over asbestos I assume for liability issues.

Me, I would put two coats of Ardex feather finish over, then maybe loose lay sheet vinyl, glue down carpet, whatever decor you want. I say loose vinyl cause it traps moisture, so it's possible to have problems.

I don't think you have inhaled much, usually to get it airborne you have to pulverize, grind without dust containment equipment etc.