Gapping on Tranquility Flooring

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Kim B, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Kim B

Kim B New Member

Last week my boyfriend and I installed a Vinyl Plank Tranquility Floor in our kitchen and family room. We have laid multiple laminate floors but never vinyl and so asked for some advice and tips from my son who lays all sorts of floors as a second job. We also read the brochure. We pulled up the old laminate (it was only 5 years old but the type we bought didn't hold up in kitchen) The base is actually old linoleum in good condition, it is flat, no curling, no movement and the family room is a wood subfloor. The instructions say this is ok to do this and that you can choose not to use underlayment but if you want you can. We left the original thin underlayment down since it was in good shape. We followed the floating floor instructions to a T and laid the floor out leaving a 1/2 inch expansion gap between the floor and walls. We were unable to finish the threasholds and are going to install next week we left the old threashold trim strips in place to keep everything in place. I don't believe there is a 30' run between the 2 rooms and the planks are going across not the length. We were looking at the floor the other day and noticed gaps opening all over the place, not just in one area and not just in the middle. I am curious if maybe the thin underlayment is causing this to move?
  2. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

What kind of underlayment we talking here? Plywood underlayment or the foam padding for the old laminate?
    The pad isn't underlayment, its padding. If you left that down & went over it more than likely thats your problem.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Kim B

Kim B New Member

We did leave old padding down it wasn't thick. So if we pull up the floor and remove the padding it should solve the gapping issue?
  4. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Its possible the old pad isn't dense enough and causes enough deflection to separate the locking mechanism.
    There's alot of variables in why you had the failure. That is just one of them. Did you check for flatness with a 10' straight edge/ dry line? Do any prep?
    These vinyl click together floors are a lot different than the old laminate floors. Completely different beast. Assuming you did as you said and "followed the instructions to a T" the pad is where i would start looking. It really cant be anything else if its all within the spec's on the literature. Right?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The problem now is that with foam pad underneath the LVP has "worked" or moved enough to unlock the joints, this undoubtedly has damaged the locking mechanism, i would not trust it to work properly if it were re-installed. Obviously the instructions were NOT followed to a T" as using a pad is a big no-no for LVP.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

T minus 1
  7. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

8. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

A misunderstanding of the term “underlayment” that’s why I try to say what type UL. Plywood, Roll, meaning I’m asking if it’s soft foam, then there’s the dense ul that may be designed for vinyl.

And the 1/2” gap, man are they lacking dimensional stability. One of my determinations of quality was the expansion requirements in laminate, Pergo laminate was one of the most stable with longest runs allowed.

Gapping issues are rampant, many causes.