Furniture, Demo, Prep and Install, Occupied Commercial Office Space.

Discussion in 'Commercial Flooring Sales & Installation' started by Incognito, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

240 s/y

Demo is easy. Systems furniture. We call these jobs "Lift" in reference to the lifting of the systems furniture as opposed to taking them out entirely. Every job is a little different because there are many different types of systems furniture. Only one thing is consistent. They're ALL a pain in the ass.

IMG_1925.JPG IMG_1924.JPG IMG_1922.JPG

View attachment 31197 View attachment 31198 View attachment 31199

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2017
  2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Incognito,

Sorry to see you are having trouble posting photos. What can I do to help? I noticed you originally had 6 uploads, but only 3 show. I changed them from full to thumbnails, so people can click on only 1 to be able to see them all in an image browser. Otherwise, each image has to be opened and then closed to be cable to view the next one. Here's a post about that: Thumbnail or Full Image?

Anyway, I know you like to upload many photos to a post. You can still do that. In fact, it should be easier, but it is different than the other forum software.

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Keep that up and homeowners are going to think the furniture doesn't have to be moved. " I thought you just lift it up"

What was replacement for, just worn out squares? Do you know how long previous install was down?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Incognito

The company I work for installed the previous carpet tile about 10-15 years ago.....at least. They were pretty well worn and not properly maintained. Like any commercial carpet you really need to deep clean frequently. Otherwise the dirt/grit grinds the carpet down to premature ugly. Then it's too late. I had worked a few days on the previous install. They were there months/years. It's a very large government office complex with multiple large office buildings. They started this one a few weeks ago. I did some LVT on a Saturday. They're working every night and it's rarely just an 8 hour shift. Yesterday I was there 10.5 hours. The furniture is RIDICULOUS.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Incognito as I keep saying you get the good jobs
    I am quite happy sticking with my small domestic jobs nobody else wants to do
    No steel toe boots, no hard hats etc :D

6. Incognito

It's very awkward. Eventually I'll figure it out.

IMG_1923.JPG IMG_1925.JPG

7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I wish you would tell me what issues you're having. I can't guess what you are having the difficulty with. This system is much easier than the old one.

How 'bout this: Drag & Drop. Find a half-dozen photos you want to share and drag them into a reply or new topic editor and drop them in the message area. Then you will be given the choice to show all as thumbnails or all as full. Choose thumbnails. Thumbnails can be viewed full when you click on them and you can scroll through all of them in the viewer. When you choose full, you can view them in a viewer or scroll back and forth to each one. You can only open, then close one image at a time. It's a good way to do it if you only share 1 photo. But share more than one, you should choose thumbnails.

You can drag & drop as many photos as you want. If you try to do it with 20 photos and get an error, then drag & drop fewer at a time. You can D&D as many times as you want in the same message.

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I tried to edit to add a picture on another thread and hit save after opening the pic but it didn't take it. Maybe didn't do it right. It was pretty easy for my first photos on the new site. I did thumbnail them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Incognito

I'm sure the system isn't too complicated or more complicated than the previous one. I've just been struggling lately with ALL things tech. Probably from working too much, both flooring and around the new house. It's a lack of patience that comes from fatigue and...............well, being an impatient person. I'll get it soon enough.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mike Antonetti

How's the New house going since this is your thread? Comfy yet?

11. Incognito

Pretty happy with the pool. The inside is pretty well situated but we're going to drop a small fortune fixing up the outdoors. This wasn't a shrewd financial deal for me but my wife is VERY happy. So life is good in that respect.

12. Mike Antonetti

Nice! A few companies around here converted into outdoor hardscapes etc. a pest control, lawn maintenance, tile guy doing pavers, outdoor kitchens. I think the aquascape guy has survived the crisis. So, there's better profit in outdoors, less competition but dam, it's too hot and humid most of the year here.

13. Incognito

On the other house I built the patio, a 10' tall shed 12'x15', demoed out all the existing concrete patio and sidewalks and poured back new with brick ribbons and a brick seating area with a fancy design, then put 3000' of Marathon sod and a sprinkle system on a timer. I was working full time so that took me all of a year.
    I'm just too old for all that kind of heavy outdoor work in addition to my flooring job. I actually tore out all the concrete with a sledge hammer and hauled it off to the local dump in the shops flatbed a couple tons at a clip.

Hardscape and landscape crews/contractors are VERY reasonably priced here due to the pressure from Mexican immigration, both legal and illegal. It's absolutely considered one of the Jobs Americans Wont Do.

14. Mike Antonetti

I saw some of Anthony Bourdain in LA, our labor here is a mix, maybe 50/50. So doing demo work, the owner makes a better margin with their cheap labor, but the cost (bottom line)will still be there. We have to do labor, and I'm not that fond of the manual portion, so my profit goes back into the business. A hand scraper for corners can do the same as this chipping hammer @ 300$ with a battery, that's a lot of scrapers. Plus I don't want my body beat up unless we're making above average rates.

Retailer asked my brother about doing 10k of carpet tile removal & r, we looked at it and pulling up a few pieces the cream on slab pulled up randomly, so we declined. Slabs locally are soft, sad we have to pick and choose.

So you/crew pulled up carpet tile, rolled some more adhesive, dry, then set back down, lowered partitions?

Attached Files:

15. Incognito

It's s 2nd floor installed over lightweight concrete. The corridors require heavy prep and that messes with any kind of efficiency. The system furniture is lifted with pry bars to demo. Then you clean, prep and glue around the partitions. So when you install the carpet tiles you have to jack them up again to slip the new tile back under. Works best with 2 guys working together. Once in a while you could use a 3rd guy for a minute lifting from the backside where 3/4 cubicles meet.