Full Spread

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Jon Scanlan, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Looked at this a couple of days ago. Full spread over a feather finish type product over particleboard ( normal trade practise here) been down awhile

2. Jon Scanlan

A couple more. I did not lay it I think the particleboard could have been wet when the vinyl was laid. I had trouble finding a corner to lift without damaging the vinyl. Not bad for a vinyl that could be looselaid?

3. Daniel Wachtel

Daniel Wachtel Charter Member

Patch must not have been dry.

4. Jon Scanlan

Daniel notice what is not stuck to the back of the vinyl on last picture.

5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The perimeter appears stuck to the PB and the patch appears to have sucked all the moisture out of the adhesive. Ardex that is mixed too wet will do that as it is always seeking moisture for its self drying efforts.

6. Jon Scanlan

Would have to agree with you. But the vinyl should have laid flat anyway that is why I suspect something else. I do not think our firm did the job anyway as most of our layers stick straight to the particleboard. We have another firm up the road who preps floors like that so I would say they laid it

7. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm not a vinyl guy but in the pictures you posted with the rug rolled back to me that rug shows a whole lot of urine on the backing about where the bubbles line up. Now if that rug was on the particle board and what ever is using the rug the urine would definitely kill the glue.

Just my thoughts.

Daris

8. hookknife

hookknife Hard Surface Installer Charter Member Senior Member

It doesn't look like a full spread to me????
    Looks like a perimeter bond with too much traffic or movement or something of that nature???

9. Jon Scanlan

We do not do perimeter sticks here mate. Was full spread in a domestic kitchen dining room. I reckon the heat from the sun made the damp particleboard shrink. I didn't really look at it to carefully as I think another laying firm did it.

10. hookknife

I just didnt see any adhesive on the felt backing?????? But I trust you,hehhee:)

11. Jon Scanlan

All the vinyls we get here don't have a felt backing they are a plastic type product which causes everything to mirror through and I reckon they attract any moisture that is blowing around under the house. When people shut all the doors and windows to keep out the burglars (which we don't have in New Zealand) the house heats up and draws the damp air up to the subfloor creating movement. Like putting a sheet of glass on the lawn

12. hookknife

So Jon all youre sheet goods are homogenus???? interesting, what is the reasoning for this????? :)

13. Jon Scanlan

Thats the way they are made, probually most come from China through some other country. Everything seems to be made in China nowdays. All our domestic vinyls will not stretch or shrink. When making a patern with a straight edge one side of the ballpoint pen too loose, otherside too tight, makes big bubble against the wall

14. Jon Scanlan

These bubbles if cut with a stanley knifeblade thickness taken out the vinyl would lay flat. The vinyl is about 2mm thick with a plastic type backing. The bubbles were caused by the house built over wet ground during winter and the water vapour pushed the joints in the subfloor together pushing the vinyl up when summer arrived. The subfloor was not laid square to the vinyl pattern. The bubble by the right side of the toespace was caused the upright piece of timber moving slightly. Vinyls here are to crictical, everthing has to be just right. I believe we are one of the few countries in the world still cutting into the skirtingboards and full spreading everything