Full Cove Vinyl

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Steve Olson, May 24, 2006.

1. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Anybody doing it? I used to do nothing but for abot 10 years, then I focused on hardwoods and laminates. Seems to be a lost art for sure, at least in my area. I've always heard it was more of a west coast phenom, but I don't really know. Who does it? Do you pattern? If so, full or flat? Nothing like a nice tight cove job, IMHO.

2. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Had 1 last week a PVC type vinyl 2m wide x 23 lin metres with 50 metres cove and I would not like to guess how many internal mitres. Toilet blocks and a passsage way about a metre wide. There was nowhere there to unrol the vinyl to even cut off 1 metre. Paterned the lot and took back to warehouse

3. hookknife

hookknife Hard Surface Installer Charter Member Senior Member

Quite common here, its is required commercially in restrooms, usually 6" cove, As far as methods I will usually use a full pattern, but if we are doing large drops i will usually freehand. But i am very anal about my corners bieng tight as i feel that makes the cove job:D

4. Peter Kodner

Peter Kodner Inspector Floors Charter Member Senior Member

Used to do a lot in Chciago. Lived up in the Northwoods for a while now and haven't seen as much here. In Chicago, we would butterfly all corners. Looked at some work in NY area many years ago and the predominate way there was to band the base. Looks horrible with the seam on outs and ins right at the corners! Cracked very easy too and I saw a ton of putty being used. We would make corner templates out of hadboard or someting similar so all the outs looked alike. A good flashed job is one of the hardest installs there is but they look great when done right.

5. Paul Browning

Paul Browning Capt. Chaos Charter Member

Agreed! I do it here a couple times a year. I use pattern and free hand method, depending on layout and material.

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I used to do so many cove jobs every year, but I bet I don't do more than 2 a year now. The materials just won't hold up to it. You can't seal the corners well because the seam sealer just runs down on the floor and puddles. I tell most folks it would be a lot better if they picked a material that could be heat welded.

When I do get the rare cove job, I pattern scribe everything except the occasional straight shot (4 walls and a doorway or a middle piece with seams on both sides). I've been told I am the only guy around here that knows how to cove, but I'm not as good as I once was. :rolleyes:

Jim

7. hookknife

hookknife Hard Surface Installer Charter Member Senior Member

Jim, when i cove rotos i use armstrongs s-200 behind the out side corners and it keeps me from relying on the sealer to keep things together, i have heard of others using hot glue gun, but havnt tried that:)

8. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

I used the s-200, but at the tub. I've used super glue, dap, and Good old Mannington red can sealer. At least you can control the drip with that stuff.

9. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

Definately a lost art. I gave up. I am probably the only guy within a county and a half that even did coving............ with only a call for it once every two or three years, it's hard to feel confident. I just threw in the towel............... materials have changed too much........... never know if they are going to shrink on you between pattern making, cutting, and dropping them in........... not worth the risk or stress for me.

10. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

See, this is what I love about flooring forums in general. Even after 35 years on the floor, and I don't know how many times I've used that S-200 grease, I had not considered using it on coved corners before. Musta been parked on a dead brain cell.

Maybe it's basic to someone else, but I just picked up a new tip that I can't wait to try out now. Thanks Bryan.

Jim

11. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

OS corners with S-200, blue tape and leave overnight if possible. Serves 8 to 12.