frustrated

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by fneuner, Feb 23, 2017.

1. fneuner

fneuner New Member

got some great carpet from karistan (looped carpet) & when we got it installed, there was a color difference between seams, ie 2 sections of the room

well, after much inspection by installer and manufacturer, it was decided to get new carpet installed. That happened today.

new carpet comes in and this time the 2 sections match, however, there is a strip of 8x1 foot at one corner that is visibly darker

so we tell the installer and then we had to call the manager. They claim it was the end of the roll and that this sometimes happens. They will send someone tomorrow to steam clean and that should fix this issue, according to them. So my questions to the pros on this forum is that correct or are they giving me the run about.

in their defense, they also said that if it did not fix the issue,w e would go back to square 1, meaning a 3rd install :eek:

2. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

Usually the discoloration at the end of a roll covers the entire width of the product or 12' x 1' .....I'm not a certified inspector, but it sounds like the Retailer is providing good and quick customer service. I hope the steam corrects the issue and removes your frustration, most of the time it works well.

As a side note, for your next carpet purchase, ask the retailer to add
    2'0'' to the required size, eliminating the 'pole crush' mark and now you have throw rugs for the garage entrance.

Thanks for posting your issue here @ TFP

Mike

3. fneuner

fneuner New Member

thank you, that was great help; have a good day

4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It is like Mike says . Where the carpet is tightly wrapped over the cardboard tube very tightly. Steam should help it. Most times it goes away by itself when it gets relaxed and absorbs some humidity. Might take a month or so.

:old:

Daris

5. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

So, to clarify; because carpet is rolled face-in, the first spin around the cardboard tube when the carpet is rolled for shipping ends up getting smashed flat, changing the natural direction of the knap/grain.
    This is called roll-crush.
    The first spin at the factory becomes the last spin at the shop, if you follow me.
    What you're seeing is not dirt or discoloration, but a change in the way you view the fibers.
    As noted, it will usually correct itself over time, especially if the fiber has a 'memory' and wants to be bending a certain way, as manufactured. What your contractor is doing is steaming it out, accelerating this process via heat and moisture.

6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I use to add a couple foot all the time because of the way I saw everyone ream the carpet pole into the tube causing damage to the rolls.

7. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Agreed, Mike.
    Every sale I ever made was 1'x12' longer than needed, because typical roll crush is 9-11 inches.
    Also because human male, and having a few extra inches never hurt when doing the job right.
    :eek:

Sounds like you 'lucked' into having just enough to get the job done, Fneuner.
    Can't blame the shop to sell it to you if they had enough to satisfy your warranty claim, though - Karistan is not typically a cheap carpet, and margins are tight.
    Still - that's cutting it close to install roll crush. Did the installer bring this to your attention?