Forbo marmoleum glue residue

Discussion in 'Vinyl & Rubber Flooring Sales and Installations' started by eagleswubbie, Sep 15, 2019.

1. eagleswubbie

eagleswubbie Pro Member

7EFCEEF6-E523-4572-B71C-D250180B39FB.jpeg DC5173AF-B73E-43DB-A93B-CC992C3B1443.jpeg CC3164DE-B59C-4053-9F0A-5F026A62A429.jpeg 99244612-51B2-4DC2-8703-00132C1A42BE.jpeg EF533D47-0773-483D-AD75-CE10BD6A1DD2.jpeg Has anyone came across a issue with Forbo
    adhesive residue left on seams and now are attracting dirt ?
    Job was installed with marmoleum flash cove heat welded seams using
    1299 Sustain for high substrate moisture.
    I’m seeing now that as we scribed material seams and used wet rag to wipe clean if the rag wasn’t new or rung out clean it left glue residue
    It went unnoticed ...
    There’s many areas installed that are now beginning to attract dirt .
    I’ve been back to try to clean seams and not had any luck using
    mineral sprits with rag wipe clean or
    Mineral sprits with red scrub pad wipe clean I’ve been in contact with Forbo “Santiago “
    And followed his guidelines
    Here some pictures
    There was a general cleaning company that clean site upon Job completion
    I was not there to observe how they cleaned

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Were you original installer? Why the line edge 6” wide along seam appears the dye was removed from the blue.

Microscope would help to see what is occurring. Doesn’t appear to be adhesive residue to me. Solvent maybe softened material for contamination to bond to damaged surface.

3. eagleswubbie

eagleswubbie Pro Member

Yes
    I was one of the installers
    Also was the foreman so there were no solvents uses or on site .only soapy water
    I’m 100% sure it was a was are rags
    After talking to Forbo ,Santiago he informed me that there asking not to use rags cause of this issue . My guess it’s the upgraded adhesive 1299 sustain
    I also used magic eraser pad with it working in sample area ..But I was informed not to use that method cause of the abrasiveness
    Here’s a few pics of the sample area that had magic eraser success .

Attached Files:

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

i Would think a slight abrasive would be exactly what to use if you couldn’t get it off some other way. Only trouble is you would be wearing away the finish. A commercial facility like that will likely have a maintenance program but maybe a little forbo floor finish would touch up any worn through spots.

Just curious as to what Santiago said to do. I’ve never used the 1299 adhesive but I’m always up for learning something new. Or would that be the same cleaning advice for their other adhesives as well.

5. eagleswubbie

eagleswubbie Pro Member

He said DONT use pad
    You break it you bought it !
    Mineral spirits and wipe clean
    Then wipe again
    He said how important it is to get dissolved adhesive extracted and not to spread it around
    I’m gonna recommend my shop buy “Forbo adhesives remover”
    1299 Florescent yellow color
    Overall worked well

6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Shoot. Mineral spirits would have been the first thing I tried. Did it work? Or did you keep at it with the magic eraser because it didn’t work?

7. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

8. eagleswubbie

eagleswubbie Pro Member

Yes i did try mineral spirits no didn't work on those smudged areas .
    When i used magic eraser for one that area and it worked, with just 3M neutral cleaner and worked quite well .Called santiago to check if it was ok and he said do not use the eraser because it will damage the top shield
    No i didnt try kerosene ,I'm shore that would also damage surface top shield . Jon you r showing your age, last time i used that was the old cutback adhesive days

9. Mike Antonetti

That is what I am seeing though I can’t see it closely, is the “shield” Urethane? Anytime it’s damaged (chemically or other means) it usually turns white.

10. eagleswubbie

eagleswubbie Pro Member

Talked to Tom Shellcamp[forbo's maintenance division] on conference call today.He wants me to try using a red scrub pad with are sander and neutral cleaner . Guess I'm i floor cleaner now

• Like Like x 1
  11. eagleswubbie

eagleswubbie Pro Member

No. Theres is no Urethane wear layer on marmoleum."Top shield" Just another silly name to sell there floor .. its diffidently not damage . its just glue residue . Sucks ass but it comes off one way or another . ill post when i find best method .
    I mainly just trying to get the word out when using the forbo 1299 sustain
    clean water for your seam rags .New rags everyday

12. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

If GENUINE mineral spirits (paint thinner) was not effective and you tried denatured alcohol I would stop and defer to a professional janitorial service under the DIRECT supervision of the manufacturer. In other words, I'm walking away and washing my hands of the matter.

This is some hardcore BS that we need to stand up against 100% collectively as installers. If these ridiculous idiots are demanding an adhesive that isn't compatible with the finish layer ..............WTF do they expect?

Seriously, this is really about the access to clean, HOT running water and a slop sink to rinse the rags and dump the slop water. AND proper lighting. I'm doing these jobs all the time under normal (greasy, filthy California SCAB) conditons which are so far away from manufacturer's ideal conditions that they might as well be on the planet Mars.

All this crap works so well in the well lit laboratory, with perfect ventillation, perfect substrate conditions, perfect HVAC systems, perfect acclimation, and UNLIMITED time to follow all the precisely timed proceedures.

What could possibly go wrong?????

Yeah, I had a rough day/week/month

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. eagleswubbie

eagleswubbie Pro Member

exactly !!!! Are they friken kidding me !!! what the hell do you think is gonna happen with absolute wet lay . Your gonna get some glue on the material ...What have we done for years . standard for cutting seams , underscribe ,hook knife. hand roll, wipe. This job was 100 rolls of forbo marmoluem flash cove !Heat weld !!! Im coming back because of
    dirty rags!!! This is my 4th forbo job this year 3 with the 885 sustain no problems with this issue ...you think they'd give us a heads up ..We all want to do a good job ..No dirty rags no problem , ill get 10 boxes of rags sent out .. Everyone get a new one in the morning and new one in afternoon .. didnt get the memo also one of my foremen jobs it to police for clean rags ..

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  14. eagleswubbie

eagleswubbie Pro Member

Just to get news out I'm being told from instructor that having the dissolved adhesive on the face of material is harder to clean up then just full dried glue on face.. " we are teaching to try to not use rags "

15. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The Kerosene we get here shouldnt/wouldn't damage the floor, I dont think, but I would be looking at giving it a try in an out of way area. Well it does have an oil base. Have used Kero to remove contact glue from places where it shouldnt have been on normal vinyls as long as the contact glue hasnt started reacting to the vinyl I know the kero will make the white paint on the skirting boards go yellow long after we have left
    And you are correct about getting real old :)

16. Mike Antonetti

Kerosene was hard to find at a gas station round me coming out of pumps but one in town did carry it. We used large quantities for the Tiki Torches for the restaurant. Think the box stores have it in gallon size for stoves, lanterns?

17. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Guess a lesson not to get glue all over the place. That looks like it in those pics.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

To the OP...you mentioned several times that Forbo does not want you to use rags, what do they suggest you use?? (Real question)

19. eagleswubbie

eagleswubbie Pro Member

KW that’s the thing we didn’t get glue all over . Why do you think I’m so frustrated about this .if we were slobs and made a mess then I wouldn’t of post this .
    Has anyone ever dampen there rag in a bucket of trowel water cause there was no running water throughout the job.
    .This is a issue is with the dissolved adhesive ( 1299 sustain ) and the and the water was the catalyst that aloud it to penetrate into the surface of the material
    There was some spots I found that had strait dried glue on surface that easily wiped with a wet() rag and putty knife .
    I’m suspecting it’s could have something to do with this color of marmoleum . There where 3 other colors on this job . None have this issue.
    All them came clean with the final cleaning

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  20. Mike Antonetti

Wonder if dye could be used then sealer.