Flush Mount Reducer for LifeProo LVP

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Bigg Uhp, May 3, 2019.

1. Bigg Uhp

Bigg Uhp New Member

I'm planning to install LifeProof LVP over a section of slate floor. Is there a reducer for the edge of the planking that will sit flush with the top side of the planking? I don't like the raised lip of the reducer available from Depot. Essentially looks like this:

bigg-uhp2.jpg

Is there anything that click-locks into the plank?

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2019
  2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I don’t know that product specific cuz I repel floating but maybe sanding/rounding the edge may work.

With porcelain tile in exterior situations we use to grind/polish the tile edge for the step up instead of adding a bullnose piece.

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Lifeproof has either a T-mold or a Multi Purpose Reducer for their available options. Nothing available that clicks in for a flush mount option.

5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Mike, you can't make the rounded edge on laminate/lvp look good. Its a composite core whereas porcelain tile is clear through

6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I’ve not tried, I realize the color change and different material layers but you think it would look detractive in the small thickness of product to round it off, or would it fall apart?

7. Chris 45

Lifeproof won’t fall apart if you were to round over the edge. I’ve done this several times with hardwood and even laminate. You will just see the grey core and the black attached pad. I imagine you could use a colored sharpie on the edge to help blend it. Maybe a bead of silicone to hold the planks down.

Another option would be to return the exposed edge just like you would base or 1/4 round. Maybe do it at a 45 instead of a 90 so it’s a little more friendly on your feet.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bigg Uhp

Bigg Uhp New Member

Thank you all for the responses. I’ll look into the Versatrim molding and Johnson reducer.
    First I’ll try creating a rounded edge on a scrap Piece as Chris 45 suggests. If it works, I can use a sharpie or paint on it.

9. Chris 45

What I do is blue tape the surface right up to the edge that I’ll be rounding over. Rounding it over trims the tape perfectly then I hit it with some spray poly, or in this case you would use spray paint then maybe create some effects with a sharpie. Peel the tape off and you’re done.

If that looks acceptable as a finished edge, I would put a bead of silicone down to hold the planks tight to the floor where you will no longer have a transition to hold it down. Might need some weight to hold the planks down in the silicone if they don’t sit perfectly flat for whatever reason.