Flooring Repair in MRI Room

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by GB33, Nov 15, 2018.

1. GB33

GB33 Member

Our flooring in our MRI room has worn down over time from the wheels on the table. This causes the table to be out of alignment until we shim it up with tape as seen in the pictures. Is there a way to repair this flooring without bringing metal tools into the magnet room? The magnet is always on unless we spend hours ramping it down and back up which we are trying to avoid. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

The only way i could think of to fix it without using a knife (metal) to cut out the damaged floor would be to fill it with epoxy.... but that wouldn't leave the nicest finish....

How much metal is too much?? Any i assume?

• Like Like x 1
  3. GB33

GB33 Member

Yes sir, because the damage is so close to the magnet, any ferrous metal would be too much. Only non-ferrous metals like stainless steel or titanium could be used.

Epoxy is an interesting idea that I hadn't considered. Do you think it would wear away over time as well? Patients can be up to 450 lbs plus the weight of the table which I would estimate to be around 200 lbs. The table is wheeled in and out of that location many times per day.

4. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I’ve fixed a few using epoxy
    But was lucky enough to where the wheels just left a nice clean path then just hand sanding and then broom swept up the dust and then taped off the floor
    And used a mix of epoxy and sand to fix it.
    The patches held up till they renovated the rooms a few years later.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GB33

GB33 Member

Thank you for the information. You don't happen to have before and after pictures of any of those jobs do you?

6. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I’m sorry I didn’t take any
    But what I did do was add a little colored epoxy to my mix so it would kinda blend in some.
    But it’s still a different in color and finish.
    Also the epoxy I used was for ESD flooring.
    Ron.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

How about a hard flat plastic plate contacted down to the vinyl? You could make them the same size. This would look like you planned it that way to help wheel the table up on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Depending on the metals used some stainless is ferrous, let’s be clear to an installer who may not understand metallurgy or surgery.

When we mix zinc and copper to form the alloy brass, we also end up with a non-magnetic compound. So, brass is not magnetic. Like aluminum, copper, and zinc, brass does interact with moving magnets. In the video below a brass plate on a pendulum will move rapidly in the absence of a magnet.

I would assume this is a specialty field with all the proper tooling to work inside an activated MRI room.

Why don't magnets work on some stainless steels?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

You know I've had this question a lot over my career and a couple of years back we found a solution. There's a company called Slice that makes and sells ceramic utility knifes and blades.

Here's a link:
    https://www.sliceproducts.com/ceramic-blades

We had a facility here that told our local flooring contractor that it costs them over $100,000 to shut down the magnet if they had to do so to replace the flooring. These blades along with plastic disposable trowels saved them from having to do so to repair the floor.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  10. GB33

GB33 Member

Thank you, this is great information. Our maintenance team said they would have no way to "heat weld the seams" since the torch they would use is metal. Do you see any way around this?

11. Commercial Floor Rep

Any commercial products can be chemically welded. Most every manufacturer offers a chemical weld option for their product. You'd just have to know the manufacturer of the flooring to find out the appropriate seam sealer.

Don't want to get too lengthy, but there is no standard that states sheet flooring has to be heat welded in a healthcare environment. It's just been done so long that it's the accepted standard in the industry and the look that the facilities have come to know and expect.

The only time it's really more important to do heat welding is in an area such as a surgical suite, where a complete sterile environment is mandated. Even in that environment the flooring could be chemically welded. The reason chemical welding is not done in those areas is because it's easier to walk into a room and SEE immediately whether a seam is patent or intact and know that you don't have an open seam where something could grow if it's heat welded. With a chemically welded seam the only thing you see is a line where the two pieces of flooring meet and it's harder to discern that the seam is intact.

Shhhhhh, I'll tell you a little insider secret....

Its' a proven and testable fact that chemically welding a seam is actually a stronger bond than heat welding.

The REAL reason that manufacturers highly recommend heat welding in healthcare and commercial in general is that they know that by pushing heat welding it will drive the labor to a more experienced installer and the job is more likely to get done correctly and with fewer issues. Guys that can heat weld are highly skilled and not everyone can do it.

So, there ya go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Commercial Floor Rep

I'd also add something else, as I had almost the identical looking problem some years ago in the same situation. After repairing it twice, the hospital opted to put in a piece of, I believe, aluminum sheeting they had made the same thickness as the flooring and glued it to the floor in that spot using an epoxy adhesive. Those patient "feeder" tables are extremely heavy and the one we were dealing with sort of locked into the machine. When it locked in it put additional downward pressure where the wheels came to rest and it just was too much for the flooring to handle.

13. GB33

GB33 Member

This is great info. Thank you!

14. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

When there's a lot of seams a lot of coving and a lot of corners I think you can whack and burn quite a bit faster than you could ever make PERFECT seams inside and outside corners with toe kicks and coluums all over.

Many of the jobs the shop I work for had the option to chemical or heat weld---------years ago (20-25) and the boss told us to do whatever we thought was faster and better. So at first we thought it was a no brainer to chemical weld and eliminate the whole grooving and heat welding process. Nope, only in certain circumstances---------really easy layouts with few seams and few corners----no toe kicks-------could you make the chemical weld seams a faster/better deal.

That was our experience. You just have to spend too much time dropping each and every piece in to make an absolutely tight and PERFECT seam to be chemically welded whereas with the heat welding the vast majority of work can be easily freehanded by experienced guys.
    Faster and better is hard to argue with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I think all those types of rooms should be epoxy or some other resinous floor system. Way cleaner than that flooring.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I don't have any great love for plastic floors of any sort and especially if the only way to seam it effectively is to melt the plastic together with your face about 18-24" away from the burning plastic. Not sure how healthy the exposure to those epoxy floor and the entire process is but I anticipate in 10-25 years they will flat out outlaw the heat welding processes once they confirm that it's causeing cancer and/or lung disease.

17. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I was going to suggest the double wheels to reduce the surface friction while the wheels pivot but see the cart already has it.

I’m interested in the fix, and the proper type flooring for this situation where design changes need to occur.

18. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Then there is CLL, liquid vinyl that eliminates any seams.