Flooring Organization Memberships

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Mike Antonetti, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

CFI sent reminder it's time to renew, I went inactive for awhile then came back. NTCA for 5 or so years, ICRI one year, thinking about joining FCICA, 500$ membership? The NTCA gave you vouchers for vendors products 1200$ per year but I was not using all of it so I cancelled my membership.

Wanting to place my money on something that's going to get Flooring Removal jobs. I think the big installation companies have their own crews, careful what I ask for, not big on working nights and weekends, I hear it takes 3 days off a life.

Jim, I think you'll get my CFI renewal fee (100$) for this first year, I may just hold off on the FCICA if it won't produce results.

2. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

I believe a large portion of commercial work is done by
    FCICA members and since you have specialized equipment, skill
    and experience in floor covering removal, I think this organization would benefit your niche. However, expect out of town, out of state work.

Mike

3. Mike Antonetti

Don't you talk like that Sli! I do think the "commercial" work in my area is too small.

Maybe a sample year, or one of their get togethers. Thanks for your perspective.

4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

These certifications seem to truly only pay for themselves if you are marketing yourself. If you have work thrown your way with no effort then it makes little sense to pay the high dues.

5. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

Did anyone see what the WFCA is doing?
    Different price categories and all higher than the $250.00 I paid last year.
    The scholarship payout is also smaller.

6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Well your in Florida, move to a more populated area....

7. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Its like when other businesses take over another the one taken over becomes extinct. Example: Sears

:old:

Daris

8. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

No, give us the quick 411 Nate and is CFI still under their umbrella

9. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

Do NOT get me started...TOO LATE!!
    CFI is now owned outright by the WFCA. But one must still pay dues to both organizations to retain membership. Those dues are increasing while the scholarship funds (arguably the only reason to join WFCA ) are decreasing. Once you could get $500.00 every year by paying $250.00 membership fee. Now the fee is $300 and up but the scholarship is $100. Unless you pay the highest fee ($750) you get $500 scholarship funds.

10. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

CFI is now in bed with the retailers who famously don't want us to raise the installation prices. There are a few of us old members that have/are been pushed aside. I'm sure there will be more of them.

:old:

Daris

11. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If you have a good reputation you can get your rates that you want/need.

12. Mike Antonetti

Daris, you remind me of a first class electrician in the military, he went up for evaluation and they told him he's a "non conformist" just a little shop talk I was probably passing thru but those words always stuck with me. Conform to what, their ways of thinking? Speaking your mind? Never did like the role of the E-6, let alone the Chiefs.

13. Mike Antonetti

No compelling reason for me to renew membership. Maybe I won't get Floorcovering Installer Magazine anymore?

So Jim, my renewal fee of 100$ will go to you this year. Thanks for your site.

14. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Thank you Mike. I was wondering why you sent me a hundred bucks via Paypal, in addition to the regular 20 you send every month. And you made it $102 to help defray the Paypal fees. This is a big help, thank you very much. As much shit as I give you once in a while, you'd think I should pay you. ;)

15. Mike Antonetti

You're always very appreciative with your email thank you.

If tweaking me doesn't sink in, did it really happen?

I'm here casually, enjoying. Your the machine operator!