Flooring options for school

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by J Ward, Dec 29, 2017.

1. J Ward

J Ward New Member

My school is a one story slab building built in 1963 with original 9x9 VCT, which has tested positive for asbestos. The floor is in bad shape with cracking occuring and there are two areas that are slightly uneven. I am looking for suggestions to install new flooring over the VCT due to the high cost of asbestos abatement.

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Electrical fire in the boiler room??
    Should clear up the problem.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I kinda doubt that's what they'd want to do. :ohno:

4. Mark Brown

Jim buddy, I think you underestimate how often this option is foremost in people's minds. Lord knows it's my retirement plan :)

...in all seriousness if that floor is adhered well there are an endless amount of options that can be perused. If it is loose and broken then it more than likely will need to be removed. That or look into floating LVP, there are some very decent commercial options in that field.

5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

How big of a school are we talkin? Are you looking for a More economical floor or are you willing to invest in self leveling over the 9x9s for something other than floating.

6. J Ward

J Ward New Member

We have about 10,400 sq. ft. of area. We're a small Catholic school so the funds are relatively tight.

7. Mark Brown

How well are your tile adhered?? That is really the most important question.
    Best case is they are down well and you can patch or "float" a smooth coat over them and install VCT which are the 12 x 12 cousin of your tile. Cheap and long lasting. Problem with asbestos tile is there is not a lot you can do mechanically to make them better, seeing as it is a hazard and blah blah blah. If they are loose you are in a bad place. Why not get some pictures of the worst of it. The reason to suggest Floating Plank is because you can get away with a bit of loose tile if need be, however things still need to be relatively smooth and flat.

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would recommend carpet tiles.

9. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Yep, carpet tiles are quite forgiving when it comes to floor condions. Plus they cut down on noise. I have put them in an elementary school and they love them

10. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

That's what I was thinking and I also recommend an installation system like Lok Dots or TacTiles to avoid complications with pre-existing moisture that's not a problem passing through the porous asphalt-asbestos tiles but will wreak havoc on certain adhesive and vinly backings.

TacTiles | About | Interface

LokDots Carpet Adhesive by Shaw

• Like Like x 1