Floor shakes, uneven floor joists in 2 directions on 3rd floor

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by DIYisNeverSimple, Oct 21, 2019.

1. DIYisNeverSimple

DIYisNeverSimple New Member

So, this may be rather long and convoluted; sorry in advance.

3rd level bedroom | 10.5 x 13.5 including closet. Floor squeaked and carpet needed replacing, so I removed it to fix the squeaks (nailed plywood) and change the flooring at the same time. Subfloor looked odd so I called a floor guy. I should have just thrown some screws in and just installed new carpet. Seriously.

After removing the subfloor, I found that the floor joists under the window and approx. four feet in, were in the opposite direction of the joists in the remainder of the room. That section also had odd distances, from 24" to 25" between.

The joists running in the other direction, where they met at the 4' line, were LOWER than the other joists by almost an inch. Flooring guy added support blocks between the 25" joists and added plywood cut sheets to the joists that were too low to level it out, and installed the new floor.

The floor now squeaks in more places than it did before, even though he used construction adhesive and screws when attaching the new plywood subfloor; floating corked back vinyl over cork sheets and sound buffer underlayment (trying to reduce impact sound.) Probably the flooring squeaking and not the subfloor; would like another opinion though. Can't stand hearing it. If I can't fix, I'm ripping it all up and putting carpet back in. Seriously.

Anyway, another issue - though this was happening before the floor was replaced - is that when my roommate and his gf are enjoying themselves, my bed shakes and my room is on the opposite side of the house. And now the person in the room next to theirs is also saying the same thing, when that hadn't happened prior to the flooring being replaced.

The basement is unfinished so I can see the joists and at least, from the bottom, the joists are level.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

That’s the difference when something is cushioned versus hard material to hard material.