Floor protector for vinyl plank flooring?

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by amyhunter0204, May 20, 2014.

1. amyhunter0204

amyhunter0204 New Member

After tedious research, we finally had Mannington Adura LVP installed. Before putting the furniture back in, I searched for what they recommended to put on the furniture to protect the floor surface. Then I attempted to find what they recommended to purchase. All I got were the exact same quote from almost all flooring companies (in my internet search). Apparently someone wrote this and they all copied it, but it doesn't appear to exist. Here is what they, and everyone else, recommends:

"Support furniture with wide-bearing, non-staining floor protectors. Ideally, the protectors should be at least one inch in diameter, made of non-pigmented hard plastic, and rest flat on the floor."

Does anyone have a nice simple brand name and where to find this??

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I'd like to help you out with a brand name, but I never liked hard plastic protectors because they can scratch floors when you slide furniture. I put felt on all my furniture. The self-stick works for a while, but when they come loose, I reapply them with super glue.

When I research products, I tend to read a lot of reviews on sites like Amazon. Here's a couple links you might find helpful.

Amazon.com: furniture leg floor protectors

Amazon.com: plastic furniture leg slides

Jim

Attached Files:

3. jimmol

jimmol New Member

I too am faced with this problem and found this post researching it. Since Amy posted they have added " Non-staining felt protectors are also acceptable."
    Thanks for the links, it was different wording than I was using and has given better results.
    I have a movable kitchen island I am building (connecting two kitchen base cabinets) that will weigh 100+ pound on vinyl sheeting that is 1/8 thick - great for the feet, bad for anything sitting on it.
    That said, I will probably frame the bases and buy a 60 pack of the largest felt nail in I can find, then nail away. hopefully all the 1 inch felt feet will spread the weight around.
    Wonder what Amy ended up doing...

4. Jim McClain

We'll prob'ly never know. She hasn't been here since after this topic was posted 3 years ago. And she won't be notified of any replies to this discussion because we don't send out notifications if a member hasn't been active for 6 months or more.

I prefer the felt pads because you can cut them in strips and large squares. Those plastic disks with felt inserts will carry much of the weight of your cabinet and its contents and could cause denting of the cushioned vinyl under it, making it hard to move and easy to damage. Felt cut to fit the whole perimeter of the base will spread the weight all around, may not cause any denting and make the cabinet easy to move. That's how I did a cabinet island in my old home and it weighed several hundred pounds. I didn't have to worry about denting vinyl - it was on a hardwood floor, but distributing the weight made moving it very easy and no scratches on the hardwood.

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I wouldn't use any nail, they will end up working loose and then rip the vinyl.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Mike is right, if the item is heavy the felt will crush and your going to be riding on the end of the nail

7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I have seen islands with lockable big wheels on them too if you are moving it often.

8. jimmol

jimmol New Member

Thanks for the tips.
    I had thought about wheels but we will not be moving it too much, or so I think.
    Felt is looking like the answer I was wondering about attachment since before Jim's link I had found some felt super sliders on Amazon I could cut to size and attempt to glue on with some adhesive in a tube. With the link I see that self adhesive felt pads are available.
    Again Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jimmol

jimmol New Member

If you don't mind sharing, what did you do about your refrigerator? Anything special under it so it would not dent/tear the floor?
    Thanks

10. Jim McClain

I didn't put anything under it. Refrigerators should be rolled out for cleaning once in a while. Kinda hard to do that with floor protectors on the wheels. The trick isn't really a trick, they only roll straight forward and back. No turning. That's what tears a vinyl floor.

11. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Here is a little trick I use for refrigerators. I cut 2 strips of luan about 3 inches wide and just short of the front. Slide them under the rollers and leave them there. When it is time to move it out just put down more luan in front on top of the vinyl and roll it out. No worry of tearing the vinyl. Also keeps the frig up off the floor for more ventilation.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

One place you can find the felt pads is Office Depot or Staples. I'm sure the boxes such HD, Lowes, and Menards carry them as well. I usually shop at the local hardware store and they carry them too. Not a fan of the nail-in type because the felt can compress and expose the nail head over time. Then when you move the furniture it leaves a nice scratch.

With regards to Adura, because of the aluminum oxide in the finish, I would prefer felt over plastic. I've had to go out on numerous scratching complaints because the plastic garbage can is scratching the floor. When I get there I move the can and there's usually white "scratch" marks that appear to be scratches on the floor. I simply lick my thumb and rub the mark away and the person who called is standing there in shock because they thought the floor was ruined. Aluminum oxide is one of the main components in sandpaper - it eats plastic. The marks that appear like scratches are the plastic from the bottom of the garbage can.

13. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

I like this style because the direct felt ones tend to just fall off.

• Agree Agree x 1