Floor covering jobs in South Carolina

Discussion in 'a Floor Pro Looking For Work' started by hwhutch, Sep 7, 2013.

1. hwhutch

hwhutch Pro Member

Hi Guys,I'm thinking about going south for the winter and eventually moving from Vermont. I am interested in South Carolina and would like to get away from the cold and snow.I would like to live and work in a smaller area,and am open to suggestions, I am 56 yrs old and do carpet vinyl vct and vinyl plank.I am not interested in doing big jobs because i work alone,all i'm looking for is to make a decent living and meet some nice people along the way. I am not limited to just SC it was just a thought, other southern states would be fine as well. I would like to say thanks in advance for any help you can give me, Harry

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Charleston would be a good fit, though I haven't been there in 20 years. Small town charm with lots of character,history,festivals and friendly people. I'm hopping and skipping, but that's a jump I would consider.

3. hwhutch

hwhutch Pro Member

Hi Mike, Thanks for the quick reply, How is work in Fla. now ? Do you think i would have a better chance of finding work in SC ? I'm a little nervous about heading south without having a job lined up,I'm a sub and am fully insured if that makes any difference ?

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Our prices are low and this humidity is insane, I'm a sub also, I think no matter where you go you'll be fine considering the amount of workload you prefer, I split pay with my brother so we need quantity and prefer not to do smaller jobs, there is another installer from our shop who also doesn't want bigger jobs, he's getting up there and wants to slow down.
    We have a Cuban guy that does mostly carpet, vinyl and has a helper and they go to 2,3,4 jobs a day sometimes. We all are complaining about pay. If your on your own you can pull extra money that the retailer would charge.

5. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

The Hilton Head Island/Bluffton area is booming right now.
    Bluffton has seen 80% growth in 5 years! :eek:
    Lots of builder-grade crap stuff being remodeled, as well as new construction.
    Not a bad place to live either, if you like the beach - home prices aren't ridiculous in Bluffton - YET.

Also Myrtle Beach is an older beach community in SC, and while not as 'Ritzy' as HHI, has lots of remodel work happening now.

Charleston is nice, and Columbia isn't too bad, at least it's coming out of a long slump lately.

Thats SC, anyway.

Charlotte NC is booming too, about 20 new subdivisions and a huge lake community explosion in Mooresville, just north of Charlotte.
    I'm part-timing in Charlotte, and turning down as much work as I'm taking.

6. hwhutch

hwhutch Pro Member

Thanks for all the replies guys,Hanover can you give me an idea what the installation prices are down there ? I don't expect to make what i'm getting up here but just an idea would be nice. Thank-you, Harry

7. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Hutch,
    The prices down here are pretty grim, that's for sure.
    Far less than I was getting in Colorado in the early 90's.

Carpet is around 2.75/yd to 3.50/yd - and that often includes take-up, sometimes furniture.
    Hardwoods & Laminates are around 1+/sf, and most often includes trimming out the job, and 2 hours of floor prep/levelling.
    -The most rejected charge I've seen is prep.. "You have to do that in every job, why should I pay extra?" is the clarion call.
    You can make decent money laying or taking up tile here, 2+/sf for each
    And vinyl pays pretty well too, especially LVT/P, around 1.50/sf.

The problem in my opinion, having lived and worked elsewhere, is that the overall economy in 'da south' was pretty depressed when the depression hit, and there are very few 'boutique stores' left now to hold prices up.
    The big Boxes control the market more here than elsewhere, from what I've seen. And with the pittance that they pay, the small shops are seeing that it can be done for less, due to tradesmen desperation, and in alot of cases, are following suit.
    :(
    The decided absence of any union structure in the south has helped to tamp down overall prices as well.

So, while you'll never have to scrape an inch of ice off your windshield again, and you can buy a lot more house for your money, your income numbers are highly likely to go down.

Just playin' it straight, no need to build false hopes.