Flooding

Discussion in 'Health & Safety Forum' started by Renee Fischesser, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Renee Fischesser

Renee Fischesser New Member

We recently finished our basement and it flooded this week due to sump pump failure from excess rain. We have this flooring throughout

Seasoned Wood Multi-Width x 47.6 in. Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring (19.53 sq. ft. /case)

LifeProof Seasoned Wood Multi-Width x 47.6 in. Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring (19.53 sq. ft. /case)-I114813L - The Home Depot

I found the flooding within two hours of it happening, it was two inches deep in some places. I had a water restoration company come clean up all the water within an hour, also have multiple fans, dehumidifiers including commercial grade. The day of, after all the water was cleaned up , when you walked water would come out in the cracks of the floor. 72 hours later and there’s so sign of water when you step on the floor nor is there water draining from any of the dehumidifiers.
    Question now is do I pull up the floor to check for moisture ? I would appreciate any tips. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

You’ll have to take off the baseboards and start onone of the end walls that run parallel to the planks. Use a piece of tape to mark the first and last plank and number them by the row. That way you know which order they came off in. There is almost certainly water trapped under that floor. I have removed floors in this scenario and reinstalled successfully.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

It takes awhile to dry out the slab. A restoration company should continue to dry slab using dehumidifiers and air movers. Not sure about class of water contamination but mold could grow underneath. Get some humidity indicators to monitor humidity level.

4. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Sorry for your disaster, I hope all goes well with the restoration. Keep us posted.

I don't know about you guys and gals, but IMHO I think Home owners Insurance companies should insist that all below grade Installed flooring
    to be rated completely ' water proof ' for LIFE !!

Didn't one of our members recommend Porcelain Tile ? Correct me if I'm wrong

5. Mike Antonetti

In my opinion if contaminated water gets on tile and under, there are voids under porcelain then even porcelain tile may need removal. So my brother and I said a few days ago, nothing is “proof” fire,water, how bout the word “unsinkable”

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

XL flooring would be fine. Also epoxy and microtoppings could take that.

7. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

If there's any, remote chance of flooding EVER again this isn't a suitable flooring choice. It's "false advertising" to claim these are waterproof floors. Flooring should be understood as a system that's inclusive of all the aspect of the actual flooring products, underlayment, installation procedures, substrate and site conditions.

Water UNDER that flooring is a health hazard. That plastic needs to be removed along with any underlayment. Dry out the basement slab and re-think your choices.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mike Antonetti

“If” I get a job I bid on I will let the customer know of an issue(repair) apparently at a Fort built in the 1400’s in Puerto Rico did not take into consideration. Efflorescence! And reducing it. Moisture movement I suppose was overlooked. Mortars and grouts address these issues. It simply must be factored into the building industry.

Attached Files: