Fixing scratched bamboo flooring

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Family of four, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Family of four

Family of four New Member

We have a bamboo floor that is a cherry colour. When we chose it, the sample we were provided with was extremely difficult to scratch (we even took a key to the sample and tried scratching, which left no mark at all), so we though it would be pretty durable. Well, a 3 year old, a 1 year old, and a dog have been pretty hard on it. It now has tons of scratches, which show up white. They aren't quite as noticeable as the picture makes them look, but they are definitely noticeable. They aren't deep at all (some you can't even feel when you run your finger nail over them), so I'm not sure if it's just the Teflon coating that is scratched or if it's the actual wood. Is there anything we can do to repair it, aside from refinishing the entire floor? 20170905_132702.jpg

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Doesn't look like bamboo to me, but I try not to look at Bamboo anymore. You have the box label? Maybe rejuvenate or some old English, for dark color yet check to make sure it's wiped off floor.

3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Those white lines are scratches in the finish. You might be able to find a clear finish touch up pen. Test it in an inconspicuous place just in case the pen and your finish don't jive. @Commercial Floor Rep might have a recommendation if there is even a product that will work for you. I recall that there was such a pen available maybe 5 years ago that was specific to a bamboo floor that I was installing but last time I contacted the manufacture they had stopped carrying it. It's too bad because it made those white lines disappear like magic and I really wanted an extra one to put in my bag of tricks.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

That's no pen application, T bar? Pad, microfiber? Maybe for an installer accidentally scraping would work so you can escape prior to adding more scratches.

5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I like old English also, works great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. A Tibetan Almond stick might work. They're hard to find though. The last time I bought them I had to order them online. However, dark colors are sometimes hard to hide scratch whitening on.

Here's a link to a video showing it being used:

There are also stain pens available for some manufacturers. I know we have them for Mannington. If you know the manufacturer of the flooring you may be able to contact their technical department and purchase the one for your floor.