"Fixer Upper" show fined 40K for Violation of Lead Paint Rules

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Jim McClain, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

People Magazine and other news outlets report Chip and Joanna Gaines‘ company Magnolia Homes has settled with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency after they broke strict rules while removing lead paint during remodels on their HGTV show Fixer Upper.

These rules apply to floorcovering professionals too. This issue will also cost them $160,000.00 in their efforts to help abate lead-based paint hazards in Waco, Texas homes and businesses, where they live. Read the whole story here.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Problem is they “have it” and “we” don’t.

3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I wondered about similar things I’ve seen on those type of shows. No blade guard on table saws, Using sunglasses for eye protection, no GFCI’s anywhere and who knows what else. I know it’s a TV show but for crying out loud OSHA employees watch TV too.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I think Chip ate a few chips of lead based paint growing up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Chris 45

I remember watching Hometime with Dean Johnson and safety was always a priority. Pretty much almost every ‘professional’ out there has an emphasis on safety. These fix’r’up shows now days are not helping the industry.

6. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

....you trying to tell me your tabe saw still has the guards on it mate :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Chris 45

I’m not on TV.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mark Brown

I want a reality show so bad, one that shows it how it really is... saw blade smokin through some hard maple doing a centred plunge cut.. 7.25 blade in the table saw, no guards, stands or other such baloney... back to installing with the sweaty ass crack hanging in the air... radio cranked and away we go boys :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Chris 45

In all seriousness, I hardly use my table saw anymore. It’s a dust maker if you don’t have a collector hooked up to it. I have a dust collector but that’s just one more thing I have to put in my van. I’m on the verge of pulling the plug on a Sawstop but I need a trailer first cus I have a lot of shit.

In the meantime I can score and snap just about every LVP and a jigsaw works for the thin rips. Laminate is getting to be a significantly smaller portion of what I do and nail down just doesn’t pay squat here so I don’t even carry my table saw in the van anymore. This was from kickback a couple years ago. Tablesaw safety is very real. I’m probably going to put it as the #2 reason my workman’s comp is so high. Sanding and finishing wood floors has got to be #1. Blowing up a house trumps losing a finger.

EC238D75-6758-4238-96C3-769EEC53B05D.jpeg

10. Mark Brown

I did that to my finger when I first got into the trade at 17... PROBABLY the best thing that ever happened to me. Pushing a board through for a rip and all of a sudden my left hand was over my head...?? Turns out I contacted the blade and removed a good halfish inch of my middle finger!

...moral of the story is I got hurt pretty good when I was young and learmed a damn healthy respect for that saw, or any other powered steel spinning blade of death that to this day has kept me safe. Blow backs are a right proper other beast I know because I took one in the shoulder when making my kitchen cabinets with Dado blades....

11. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I too have fought the saw...and the saw won.

• Funny Funny x 1