First there were Smart Phones, now we may get Smart Floors

Discussion in 'Article Discussion Forum' started by Jim McClain, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

It's becoming so hard to keep up with the pace of technology these days. Flooring changed during the course of my 35 year career installing and selling, but it was gradual and nothing drastically different from year to year.

Now this...

[excerpt=Francie Diep, Innovation News Daily]The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office recently granted a patent to IBM for a security system that would turn a floor into a multitouch surface that recognizes who's standing on it. The floor senses different shapes and weights, so it would know the difference between adults, children and pets by weight and shape and number of feet on the floor. It has a database of registered identities to which it could match the shapes and weights it detects. Once it senses an unauthorized person standing on it, it can sound alarms or call the police, just like traditional house alarms. IBM received the patent, No. 8,138,882, on March 20.[/excerpt]

Read the full article here: Multitouch floor would detect your heart attack - Technology & science - Tech and gadgets - Digital Home - msnbc.com

I wonder about the installation specifics and how one would become qualified to install such a flooring? Maybe it bodes well for those of us who lament the hack and slashers who populate our industry. Do a sloppy installation on this product and you could very well be jeopardizing your customer's lives and safety. Dealers will have to start weeding out the dregs of our industry. Maybe.

Jim

2. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

Could you imagine being in a house that had this system previously installed, and having the cops show up because the "floor" doesn't recognize you?:eek:

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

Electricians would probably be installing it.

4. j248

j248 Pro Member

that is crazy. I have seen the floors that can emit scents and act as kind of remote controls, but as innovative technologically as those seem, that patent sounds a whole level higher.

This truly might separate the good installers from the great, as well as might open a new younger more tech savvy grade of people to a new career option, or is comcast or ibm going to have a whole new way to make money. hmmmmm.......

5. Demonseed

Demonseed Pro Member

From the article, I gathered that this is not even remotely in any type of production phase, and while it might be something that in the near future (next 5-10 years) we might see in an extremely limited way, I doubt it would ever be put into mass use. Simply because there are so many other ways to achieve the same results in a more cost effective way.

6. twomly

twomly Pro Member

I personally don't like the sound of that it makes me wonder what they are saying it can do, but what about the things it also does that they are keeping from us.
    Just another way they can manipulate us with technology, I mean if they put that in stores and it starts to recognise us and our purchases the possibilities are endless axs if we haven't already got enough devices in our world today controling us.
    Or may be I just watch to many films.

7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

I got to thinking the other day how floors can change in the future. I mean literally. I was watching one a them singing competition shows and noticed the stage floors were different from one act to the next. Then I was thinking about how easy it is to change the backgrounds to our cell phones and computer monitors - and how thin those are now.

Someday there will be large format floor tiles, maybe even planks, that can change patterns, colors, etc. There will be a little control module on the wall, or be set up like an app, so you can change the look of your flooring to suit the occasion or mood. I believe the technology already exists. Super-hard, clear surface, ultra-thin computerized matrix with high resolution capability. The flooring would be no thicker than current floors.

I'ma jeenyus I tell ya. :)

8. j248

j248 Pro Member

lol, i was humming that theme reading this post the whole time.......jeenyus indeed good sir

9. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I believe they have it already in ceramic tile. I saw a show on the tube I think that had tile where it would change color if you put your hand on it.

Daris

10. Omnipotent

Omnipotent Flying Dutchman

No, that was In one of MJ's videoclips.

11. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

No, I'm more into thinking I read about it on talkfloor. Maybe not I don't know. You know when you get old the memory is the first thing to go.
    So what was we talking about?;)

Daris

12. Omnipotent

Omnipotent Flying Dutchman

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi_XLOBDo_Y&ob=av2n]Michael Jackson - Billie Jean - YouTube[/ame]