Finishing thin oak hardwood

Discussion in 'Solid and Engineered Hardwood Q&A' started by jrs, Aug 4, 2019.

1. jrs

jrs New Member

The house was built in the early 1940s, and we removed the carpet, and it has oak hardwood flooring, but a professional who looked at it a long time ago said that it was too thin to be sanded, and that sanding it would destroy the grooves that hold it together, and cause it to come up. In some rooms it is finished, but the finish is in bad shape, and in other rooms it is unfinished. Is it possible to DIY finish it or oil it?

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Wideview picture and detailed picture recommended. If a pro hardwood refinisher has that advice it is probably sound. Did he recommend screen and recoat to dress it up?

3. jrs

jrs New Member

I'm not sure if he reccomended that, it was a long time ago. I think he just said that to sand it flat, they would have to sand past the groove that holds it together.
    Here is a picture:
    IMG_20190804_191200.jpg

4. Mike Antonetti

It’s cupping pretty bad. Usually related to humidity/ moisture levels.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If it was built in the '40s I would guess it is 3/4" and should be sandable.
    My recommendation is to get a second opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. phil verre

phil verre I Support TFP

Stick a business card or something similar in between two boards if you can and mark it with a pencil. You should land on the tongue and get a feel for how much wood you have above the t&g.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

Nice tip Phil!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

By the way Mike, I didn't see cupping in the picture. Not saying it isn't, just that I can't see it. Crowning? Maybe.

9. Mike Antonetti

Sides look higher than center to me, U shaped from standing above. Moisture higher underneath than on top. Timeframe? Happened long time ago and stayed that way or current moisture issues for the duration.