Favorite floor patching?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Adroit, Oct 12, 2019.

Favorite patching material

1. UZIN

2. Ardex

3. Schonox

4. Dependable

5. Mapei

6. Prospec

7. Henry

8. Surfix FEP

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Adroit

Adroit Pro Member

I’m thinking of posting weekly asking for everyone’s favorites. And if there is something I haven’t tried I would like to try it. First I’m thinking floor patching material.

I prefer UZIN personally. What’s your fav?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I have been a mapei guy my whole life, then I went to ardex feather finish for a bit.. but the versatility of plani patch cannot be beat. Plus, mixed right that sexy body it has can float anything.

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Never got to try Uzin, but I would have if it had been carried by my suppliers. Of all the others I tried, I liked Ardex Feather Finish the best. Creamy smooth, easy to mix and trowel and flexible.

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

I’ll have to agree with that, not just now, but 20 something years of it.

5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I love ardex, but hate my price per bag on it.

6. JayP

JayP Pro Member

I voted Arden because it’s my favorite out of the ones listed. But I really love this stuff SURFIX FEP

7. Adroit

Adroit Pro Member

Added to the poll I’ve never even heard of that stuff lol

8. JayP

JayP Pro Member

Lol thanks. It’s probably a regional thing (NE USA)

9. Adroit

Adroit Pro Member

I live in Ohio, is that NE enough?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Ardex here we use a lot of it

11. JayP

JayP Pro Member

Hm I guess not if you’ve never heard of it. I’m in Massachusetts and we get it from a distributor who is out of Maine.

12. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

If JP is in Nebraska, that’s frickin hilarious if you thought he meant North East.

Ok, I’m settled now. Had a buddy who owned pizza shop, we were talking then he said “your a member?” Asked myself what the hell are you talking about am I a member of what? No, you remember! Coulda been about drinking those days as a priority.

I like Mapei’s variety of products for specific situations, but Ardex FF, is I think the most versatile, something that was always on the truck, then when shop was getting low we would hoard it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  13. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

For a time here in Boise both Henry and Ardex' name was on the bag. Same stuff? Sure seemed to be.

14. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Henry is/was a subsidiary of Ardex. I find the Henry product at Home Depot one of the worser, drier, quicker setting, poorer bonding patch. It's just barely workable for me and I've got stuck using it a handful of times.

The Henry "Patch and Skimcoat" is strictly NOT a commercial product comparable to what I'm used to.
    We're using the Mapai on carpet/carpet tile and non-glue down LVT. It dries way to slowly and acheives a very poor bond to the substrate and our adhesives and subsequent coats of patch bond very poorly.

I doubt a DIY type would appreciate the differences we're talking about. They are somewhat subtle and really based on the quite specific needs. For example, I was using the Mapai on a 2K s/y carpet tile job with TONS of prep----nothing major but almost a skim over the whole slab. It was really ideal-----waterred the crap out of it and had an inordinate WORKING TIME. You could blink, take a deep breath and have time to spot patch, maybe answer a phone call, haggle with the trade to GTFOOTW. It's fine for an area like that 65-75% covered with office furniture.

• Like Like x 1