favorite/best brand carpet Seam tape?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Z-Carpet, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

normally use traxxcorp, used bluehawk from lowes today kinda felt like it sucked, cheap, little less glue idk but i didnt like it

anyone else have a favorite or is seam tape seam tape

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Koolglide or bust

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kylenelson

Seriously though, get a koolglide and you'll never look back. I maybe use my hot iron once a year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Koolglide first then Orcon. But seriously 1 tape does not fit all applications. We have to be like a painter and have different brushes for different jobs.
    But the Koolglide just about covers everything.

:old:

Daris

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

I agree, Koolglide. Then Orcon.
    Love the Orcon XK 30 (I think that was the line) great all purpose tape, cools slowly so you have time to work the seam a bit more if needed, very burn resistant, and doesn't want to drip from the iron at the seam ends - which is invaluable.

Side note: since it's essentially retired, my low mileage Koolglide got lent out to a fuzz-butcher I am becoming friends with.
    We might have to physically fight for me to get it back from him...

6. Floor Boss

Floor Boss Flooring Professional and Mgr. I Support TFP

28 years... Orcon super 3S and wide were my main squeeze. I tried others from time to time and used Specialty tapes when needed. I don't trust the low melts to handle stretching without peaking. I've done the koolglide seminars twice and still can't get into it. I like the concept and function but I'm in the office now anywho!

7. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With toes I Support TFP Senior Member Published

AAT U-900 was the BOMB! I have had 4 different backings shrug off the Kool glide tape so I use the Seam Master one tape. I know it's the same adhesive but the temperature of the iron warms (and expands) the backing and (in my opinion) makes a better bond.

8. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

as soon as i get the extra money im definitely gonna buy a kool-glide, whats a good place online to order one? i seen shagtools got the "seammaster" for 410.00, do theses come with any manufacturer warranty? would suck if it broke randomly for 400 dollars lol

anyone ever use the teflon seaming board they make??

9. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The price sure has gone up on the Koolglide. I saw it for over $500 somewhere online. Glad I have 2. I was Orcon 6" until I got my first Koolglide. I still have several rolls of the old tapes, don't know if I'll ever use them.

10. Majwoody

Majwoody Pro Member

Xk30 was the first tape I ever loved. My uncle used xk50 but I liked the 30 more. I used the traxx ta50w or something like that for a while but I decided that since I was only going through about 5 rolls a year I may as well use orcon. I have wanted a koolglide for a while but cant justify the purchase.

11. Crash1big

Crash1big Pro Member

Good ol K40 for me. I have a koolglide but it broke after about the 10th time I used it. Never did quite like it. Didn't seem to hold very well. Great for repairs though.

12. kylenelson

I have paid for my koolglide many times over in repairs and patterned carpet. It takes a really difficult seam and gives you 10x the control, especially in conjunction with the seamerdown now!

13. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Although I do have the Kool Glide, I haven't gotten used to it on everything. I still seem to grab the conventional iron most times. That said, my favorite seam taper is Orcon XU-90. It costs more but it holds well, low melting point and low profile.

14. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

I use the Kool Glide for patterns and seams across light sources when I can't avoid them.

I go out of my way not to use it when the carpet is extremely stiff and or cold. It just doesn't heat the carpet up enough, and I feel like I get a better seam conventionally.

15. Floor Boss

Floor Boss Flooring Professional and Mgr. I Support TFP

I have 3 installers that have the koolglide. Two have had repairs done to them. They love them for patching and repairs (when they're working) but they still use their hot melts 90% of the time.
    For a chuckle, I had one of my sales staff ask me what I thought about the 'new' self adhesive (no melt) carpet seam tape. I really don't know that there is a new one, but I said that in no situation would I ever seam a room with any type of self adhering tape. Maybe I'm missing out?
    The exception for me was that on stair rails with upholstered sides, high quality Orcon 'peel n' stick' seam tape worked very effectively around stair rails and eliminated staple puckers.

David

16. Chux1214

Chux1214 Pro Member

Orcon psx-4500. It's 4 inch tape, pretty much good for everything, and it's cheap. I get it at Home Depot for about 12-14 dollars a role. No complaints on it at all except with stantons and higher end carpets and soft backs. I don't own a koolglide and more than likely will never buy one, too much carpet sorcery for my liking lol.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Koolglide you can reheat like the wife's leftovers except you can make it better!

18. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I don't think I'd put Stanton in the same category as higher end carpets. Most of it that I've seen is face to face Wilton and poly.

:old:

Daris

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Michael Lewis

Michael Lewis Pro Member

Orcon is the only tape ill use. Psx4500 from home depot is better than classic K40 its got more glue and a little wider. Using traxx s40 today and realizing how garbage it really is... used the kool glide and i havent been too impressed other than for repairs. Even for wovens i just use my crain hot melt and the seamer down

20. Michael Lewis

Michael Lewis Pro Member

Best tape out there. I use it on stanton, kane, any carpet

• Like Like x 1