Fastener for 3/4" plywood underlayment for glue down vinyl plank?

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by nevets, Jan 11, 2019 at 6:53 AM.

1. nevets

nevets Member

We have a large supply of 3/4" sanded plywood which we want to install over an old plank subfloor to add rigidity and provide a smooth surface for glue-down vinyl plank. What would be the best type and size of fastener to use?

2. nevets

nevets Member

Never mind! I found a thread on thois forum with good advice.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You didn't tell us your plank subfloor thickness to be able to tell you what to use.

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I’m not a fan of staples because occasionally I’ll get a staple pop that requires me to go back and fix it for free. I switched to ring shank nails when I was doing production houses. Only problem there is finding nails short enough so you aren’t penetrating through the subfloor and possibly hitting plumbing or wiring. I’ve had that happen before too. On my own house I used screws. Only problem with them is they aren’t as fast as using a nail gun and demo will be an issue if you live there long enough.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nevets

nevets Member

Based on that other thread I was going to use 1.5" medium crown 16 gauge staples. The subfloor planks are about 3/4". The other option as Chris suggests is 1.5" ring shank nails but I can't find collated ring shank nails that fit a standard nail gun. Do they exist? Would cleat nails work?

6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Look for pallet nails. You ever try bustin a pallet apart? They hold like a sun of a gun. You won’t find them in a box store. If your combined subfloor/ underlayment thickness is 1.5” then you will want 1.25” nails. That way you can slightly sink the heads and yet not have the nail penetrate completely through.

1-1/4" x .083 Ring