extreme direct sunlight vinyl tile question

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Bruce Hempel, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Bruce Hempel

Bruce Hempel Member

I'm new to luxury vinyl tile flooring and have been doing a ton of reading. I am attracted to the Adura Max vinyl tile because it claims a wider temperature range (it is ok up to 140 degrees instead of the lower temps for many other vinyl tiles) and I like the look of some of its stone-looking tiles.

When I read the Mannington's installation instructions for Adura Max here on this site (https://thefloorpro.com/files/mannington-adura-max-installation2016.pdf), on page 1 they say "Adura Max is installed as a floating floor" but the last statement in the document (p5) says "If extreme direct sunlight over 140 degree temperature is a concern an Adura glue option may be preferred".

Which of the following do they mean by that last statement?
    A) Adura Max can be glued down if you are concerned about extreme direct sunlight OR
    B) Use a different Adura glue down product if you are concerned about extreme direct sunlight.

If A is the meaning, which glue should I use?
    If B is the meaning, which Adura glue down products are recommended for extreme direct sunlight? (It seems like the glue down products I have found so far have the lower acceptable temps.)

I'm also open to recommendations of other luxury vinyl tiles with a stone look that work in extreme direct sunlight. Adura Max just happens to be the one I've found in doing my research so far. I've also come across SuperCore by Kryptonite claiming to be ok to 155 degrees but it is also a floating floor product. (Can it be glued down?)

The room in question is small (5 foot long, 4 foot wide entryway that gets hot), so the amount of expansion should be less than in a large room.

Thanks in advance for all replies!

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I assume wood subfloor?

I believe same product may be made two different ways. One with square edges, the other with a locking joint.

Shrinking to me in tile products is fine. When you but them together and then over time they shrink I’d just add vinyl grout and the assembly appears designed as such.

3. JayP

JayP Pro Member

I agree with this. I would contact your retailer, or if you aren’t using a floor covering store contact the manufacturer.

4. Bruce Hempel

Bruce Hempel Member

I have contacted a retailer about whether these come in square edge, but haven't heard a reply yet (I know, it is early). Has anyone heard of gluing down click-and-lock product? Is that a bad idea?

5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Glueing a floating floor is usually an optional assist reserved for extreme situations. Sunlight can be an extreme situation. My advise to you is that if you are seriously concerned about your floor buckling due to sunlight then you need to pick a different floor.

6. Bruce Hempel

Bruce Hempel Member

Chris, then I take it that it can be glued. Any experiences or advice about that? I like the stone vinyl look/feel, and being that the space is small, I am willing to take a chance on it not working (if it fails, I guess I'll have learned from it!). I'm just trying to maximize my chances of it working.

7. Mike Antonetti

You should probably contact by talking to their tech department. (It’s a little difficult) and see what adhesive options they have. One that hardens and does not stay in a tacky state. Also Mapei would be another option discuss the heat and say you want an adhesive that they use to call transitional or “hard set adhesive” been a few years since installing so I don’t know the latest.

Years ago #800 Tarkett adhesive was widely used for its plank, a lot of it shrunk, they went to #400 hard set, not easier for installer, put in wet but kept plank from shrinking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bruce Hempel

Bruce Hempel Member

Thanks, Mike! I appreciate the advice.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

The answer to the question is B - Go to a different (Now called Adura Flex) product that is directly adhered. Adura Max is not offered in different formats. It's a "blown core" WPC. If you are concerned about a broader temperature range then you might want to think about using the Adura Rigid. The Adura Rigid is capable of handling lower (-20 F) and higher (150 F) temperature range as it's a "non-air entrained" core. The reason to have two products is for sound deadening situations. The air helps to kill sound transfer through the product. But, it also makes the product more susceptible to thermal expansion and contraction. So, if you're in a situation such as an apartment and sound transfer is a concern Max has a slightly better impact on the sound ratings.

The installation you have read is from 2016 and there has been a total overhaul to the entire Adura offering as well as the specifications and names of the products. You might want to go to mannington.com and download the latest installation instructions.

With all that said, I will share that since it's introduction I have not seen one claim on Max with regard to thermal expansion and contraction of the product. Not one.

Good luck and hope this information helps!

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Commercial Floor Rep

Also, DO NOT glue Adura Max or Rigid down. They are floating floors. If you want a glue down product then go with Adura Flex. The same patterns are available in all 3 formats so that you can use the product format that fits your application.

11. Mike Antonetti

Which adhesive Chuck?

12. Commercial Floor Rep

Sorry Mike, I was being pushed out the door by the boss. He didn't have his keys so I had to lock up and he had to be somewhere.

The recommended adhesive for Adura Flex is MT-711 PSA. It should be installed in a semi-wet state, peaks should be cloudy troughs should be clear.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Bruce Hempel

Bruce Hempel Member

Thank you, Kaough (and others), who have given advice. Very helpful, very specific (even the glue to use!); I am very impressed by the help here.