Extreme Adhesive Removal Tool Recommendations

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Mike Antonetti, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

It is I, dissatisfied with what’s available on the market. A few jobs needed/need adhesive removed. Some brittle, some sticky, some thick and thin. Removing the texture of adhesive is one level to make it smooth. Then begins grinding into slab for the concrete to be exposed, another level. This is no fast process in my opinion, when I sit behind a grinder and get bored there’s a problem.

Factors clash, cost, weight,electrical power availability, quality. I’m wondering if World of Concrete May have some answers, flying to Vegas and not increasing my speed by 30% with minimum investment would be a let down.

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

You are going for the wrong reasons then buddy....

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I know what you are saying but we both carry a ton of tools and blades to remove this stuff what works on one job won’t work on the other

4. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

There is only one magic bullet lads.......

HELPER MONKEYS!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Mike Antonetti

Yes Ron, a 500$ Tool should not out perform a 7000$ Tool. The exertion for the hand grinder is way more, but faster.

Tried the new large PCD’s on the Walk behind grinder and the we’re digging into slab, not good for gluedown vinyl.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SSGNick

SSGNick Pro Member

Mike, Sometimes when the PCD's are to aggressive and dig into the slab I would switch to the PCD with wear bar. It helps minimize that result

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

Nick, Those perplexed me, I don’t get the wear process of the diamond bar segment. As the diamond bar wears it allows deeper cutting by PCD? Are the wear bars Hard bond metal?

I don’t want to change out my tooling plates for different segment manufacturer because of the investment in the connector type I have. The hard bond button segments that I bought from scanmaskin wear way too quick cutting into slab on one midsize job(3/16” wear on 2k ft). I’ve bought a few diamond segment sets direct from China but there’s not much selection in shape, attachment, and bond hardness. Haven’t asked yet if they can make anything I request, but from Ebay they get right back when I ask anything in scary good English writing.

8. SSGNick

SSGNick Pro Member

The wear bar does a few things. Primarily it eliminates the scratches left behind from the PCD as well as cuts down on it digging to far into the surface.

As far as the plate, you should look into a Universal plate. That will give you more flexibility on who's tooling you use on what ever job your on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mike Antonetti

I’ll change plates for that. Unaware of universal plate, which brands work in conjunction with scan segments, Lavina, HTC, ? They all have they’re proprietary tooling.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  10. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

11. Mike Antonetti

I saw that when your company hired them about a year ago. They leave a lot of info out of their waterblasting services like price, do they sell small units, and they still perform the “traditional” services scraping, shotblasting and grinding.

I’m thinking some new type of equipment is being developed that will surpass existing, certainly room for improvement.

12. Incognito

No Mike, none of this really applies to the sort of work you're routinely handling---------residential/small scale commercial. These guys are enormous---SCALE and work on some of the biggest projects you can imagine.

But the equipment/systems/technology they use is what we need all the time. Problem is that it doesn't scale down to the $1000-$10,000 floorcovering job. They're used by my boss almost exclusively on 6 figure deals. They earn their money +

Great team of guys I can highly recommend.

13. Mike Antonetti

Can they vary the concrete surface profile to a 5-6 simultaneous as removing the adhesive residue?

All it is is systems applied. Designed and Engineered, all of the equipment is in existence, supply, extraction. I’m still wondering about the disposal, all costly steps.

A guy is asking me if I will remove sand from his large putting green turf as it was damaged from hurricane hermine. Got to figure out a design to lift/ extract sand deep in fibers, the need causes the creativity. I think one of the members posted blasting paint off a car in minutes, maybe it was Ken.

Thinking of the removals we’ve done it’s not 100%. There’s dark lower spots to get to which a plate riding on surface would require the adjacent area to be ground another 1/16” deeper. Equipment blasted straight down(shotblasting or waterblasting) removes the varying heights of contaminants, much better procedure than grinding. Not as critical for more adhesive/patch but leveler and moisture vapor barriers is your “whole nutha level!” (Something about Eva comes to mind)

Went to a retailer to drop some requested bus. cards, he asks me how much to prep 7k ft. cause his guys only have hand scrapers. I didn’t really say a price, can’t see them digesting even .25 cent a ft(1750$)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  14. Incognito

The EXTREME water blasting systems can blow through concrete as if it were balsa wood.

I don't know all the technical, local, state and federal regulations as to disposal of the wastewater. We worked on a Navy base about 1/4 mile off the coast and I was responsible for ALL the compliance issues. We ran the waste water into the appropriate outlets as per the proper authorities-------in other words I asked the Honcho I reported to what he wanted us to do with the mess and he gave us clearance to use the particular on site resource (drain)

15. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I believe the waste water can be disposed through the sewer only if it goes to a waste water treatment facility. From there who knows what the filtered solids may be turned into. I recall reading about waste water being tested for drugs in major cities, from people pissing them out of their system, and how the levels spiked on Friday and Saturday nights. I suppose a little lead or asbestos is nothing compared to everything else that’s in there.

16. Mike Antonetti

Yeah, we’re doomed. Even washing clothes the synthetic fabric chemicals leach into water.

The solids are easy to separate with tanks/filters. I did look into that system when you posted and believe there’s a company out of Orlando that does it but they do other categories of work as it can be used for other industry.