Expansion and floating LVT plank floors

Discussion in 'Vinyl & Rubber Flooring Sales and Installations' started by Steve Olson, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

I started bring an infrared thermometer with me, so I could measure the temp of the sub floor and product during the installation. Its been very surprising to see how much variation exists. These floating LVT floors ( and conventional glue down plank) seem far less stable then hardwood, laminate or sheet goods.
    The living room area in the house I'm working in, had nearly a 20 degree swing, in front of the bay windows, while the balance of the sub floor remained within a couple degrees of morning temps. A summer job with a sliding glass door, with a south exposure had the subfloor temp over 95 degrees. It was sheet vinyl, but still. Is there any data, on how much these floors expand and contract with these swings in temps?
  2. Good on ya Steve! The expansion/movement is hard to find in the techo-jargon from these LVP producers. But we know it is significantly more than they anticipated when the documents were published.

I know of a couple of Korean manufacturers who use a composite core as part of their rigid vinyl plank production and that makes them much more stable. The Korean manufacturers traditionally create flooring that will accept in-floor radiant heat. There are so many homes that have it, they have to produce a product that will handle the heavy heat load from underneath.

I hope someone else chimes in. It would be cool to see some of those numbers.
  3. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

There's an ASTM specification that the manufacturer's use as a guideline that state's what the maximum delta can be based on manufacturing specs and I believe the max range is +or- .25% of the dimension measured from manufacturing specs. But, that is only when tested within the manufacturers allowable installed temperature range.

That's a good way to illustrate to a customer the variance that can occur when exposed to direct sunlight vs. other areas that are connected, but outside of the exposure area. I've done it myself, but only after the problem has happened. Doing it before hand or during the installation could be a good dose of preventative medicine that might just save a problem down the road!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1