Epoxy Thinset?

Discussion in 'Commercial Flooring Sales & Installation' started by SteveG, Oct 16, 2018.

1. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Well the last two jobs (school remodels) from this architect in town have specified epoxy thinset. I've used epoxy grout plenty of times, but the epoxy thinset is a new one on me.

I can't quite wrap my head around the need for it on walls in a middle school, and even in dry areas. My boss hasn't seen it, my tile guys aren't exactly loving putting it in, and the taxpayer side of me hates how expensive it is.

Is this is thing near you? I think it's just this one architect that has lost his mind - but he won't listen to reason so we just price accordingly.

2. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I’ve used it many times but it’s mostly used doing hospital work.
    The schools we do here call for it from time to time but usually before bid time we ask the architect if we can do a value cost difference and they just go with regular thinset.

It’s a pain to work with and I myself at times will add cab o sill to make it a tad stiffer when going up the walls with tile.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

The the last job I bid with it I offered to value engineer it out, they took the VE on the epoxy grout but not the thinset. o_O

4. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

That’s crazy I’d much rather have epoxy grout.
    We use it a lot on schools here
    Have one coming up in February in 2019
    All the grout is epoxy on the walls and floors.

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

It’s all we use to use for one company I worked for out of Tampa. Setting floor brick in industrial and quarry tile,porcelain. There were different hardeners for setting time. Key Resin the owner use to buy it by the 50 gal drums.

• Like Like x 1