End trim for wall tile

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by Toronto77, Jun 14, 2018 at 7:03 PM.

1. Toronto77

Toronto77 Rooky Trainee

I am putting up a backsplash in my in laws kitchen and want to put a metal trim where the tile starts as a nice finish.

How do I properly select the correct size of trim to ensure the trim fits not only the wall tile but also the cement that will be used? Wall tile is approx 1/4” thick.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Schluter made like two heights, one for floor thickness tile, one for wall. Think I threw out my Schluter samples and need to get rid of tons of other stuff.

Thinset thickness could be slightly adjusted to raise/lower to be flush with height of strip. Will it look aesthetically pleasing? I’ve bullnosed pieces of porcelain, marble,glass instead of trim but not always feasible.

3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

you get the trim that is the same size as the tile, done deal. They make all kinds of them. If you cannot get one the same size, go bigger and build the tule up with mud. Nothing drives me crazier than metal over the tile lip!!!

... lucky for you I will never be there

4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Schluter

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Toronto77

Toronto77 Rooky Trainee

Those were exactly what I was looking for – thanks so much.

One more question: my nephew decided he would try and help and finished one section where the tile is only to go up the wall about 6 feet and stop. Along the top of the tile I was going to use the same type of trim, however, there is no way I can fit the back part of the trim behind the tile he has already installed. Is there an alternative type of tile finish trim that I can use that doesn’t need to be attached from behind the tile & still look half-decent & match the existing finish trim I used on the vertical edge?

This is an example of what I used on the vertical trim: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....foot---champagne---pack-of-10.1000755903.html

6. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

just cut the leg off on a table saw or use a 4 inch grinder and glue it in. I have done it more times than I like to admit :)