Easy to pick apart others work

Discussion in 'Ceramic & Stone Sales and Installations' started by Mike Antonetti, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I've somehow reversed a listello on a shower wall, homeowner called me in the pouring rain on my way home, better to go back while wet.

Here's a job I declined, I don't know who did it and it's easy with these back splashes to be dizzy eyed with the pattern. I noticed big joints at top and bottom, along with corner joints not lined up, my brother pointed out one wall is upside down. The rows on one wall are wide, medium, narrow, other wall is opposite.

Attached Files:

2. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

I wouldn't have done that job like that but...oh-well. The tile lines are mis-matched as far as tile sizes go, I would disagree with how that one was done. The huge gaps at the top also could have been easily avoided.

3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Is the picture the one you did, or someone else?

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I would assume someone else's, thus the focus and title of this topic.

5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm always frustrated by the way other guys install stairs here. Strip is 1" away and pad not over the nose. The stairs I stripped today, the strip was over an inch from the stringer on the sides. Most of the time I take everything off and start over.

6. Mike Antonetti

No Kyle, that's someone else's work. The one I did was similar but stone. I don't think I would post something I messed up. Just kidding, if it will help others avoid a mistake I'll post a warning.

Don't give a chimpanzee a loaded AK-47! (Just a video I partially saw on YouTube)

7. Mike Antonetti

So we finished up hardwood here, I got more scoop, but not the whole story. I believe I mentioned the name of a tile setter I recommended, but he has "people" working for him. The homeowner asked for the best guy, he'll wait. Today I find out he replaced about 20 pieces. The homeowner is a contractor(framing,drywall,etc) said he could have done that bad himself.

Oh yeah, they used sanded grout, homeowner was upset about that as well.

So, now I'm back to not recommending anyone.

Attached Files:

8. Bill Vincent

Bill Vincent Charter Member

There's no such thing as the perfect tile job. Sometimes I think they're designed SPECIFICALLY NOT to be perfect-- adds to the rustic nature of the covering. I don't care how conscientious you think you are. There will always be imperfections. Of course, not matching up coursing would be a big one. :yesss: