Dust Control

Discussion in 'Floorcovering Installation & Maintenance Tips' started by Chris 45, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

What do you guys/ gals use for dust control? I've already got dust collectors and shrouds for my saws that I never set up inside. Always outside and not right next to the door where the dust can blow right back in the house. (New construction doesn't count). I use the dust ports in combination with a vac on my smaller tools such as my jamb saw or my sanders. I try to turn off the HVAC system while removing existing flooring n such. Despite all that I'm still blown away by how much crap is floating around in the air while I'm working, just waiting to settle on a previously clean surface only to be noticed by the homeowner.

I don't get complaints about it but I see it and it bothers me enough to motivate me to try something new. I had to yell at my buddy for not using his dust ports after I got tired of the smoke alarms going off on every job while he was undercutting jambs. Does anybody out there bring in a HEPA air cleaner while they are working? Probably not realistic for someone with 3 carpet jobs in a day but I am in someones house for 3 to 5 days doing 700 to 1500 sq ft of flooring and I'm all about the schmooze. Say what you want but the above and beyond thing goes a long way with my customers and that turns into word of mouth.

It would be easier if I just didn't care but I do. That and I'm always looking for something that sets me a notch above the competition. I already hand out the fuzzy furniture sliders to my customers after I install their new floor. You wouldn't believe how much they love that but mostly I do it so they don't F up MY new floor.

What do you guys do?
  2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It seems every tool has a different size port to hook up to. I want to get a high suction vacuum for grinding that could be used for tools also.
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Chris, It's what I do, it's my job! You posted previously I was schmoozing a customer about cleaning dust off of fridge vent but our job is that with Dustram, the home should be cleaner when we leave than when we arrived, so I'm looking for ways to do that.

Yes, I run an air scrubber while removing ceramic tile and grinding thinset. But that's a horrendous dust issue. Pulling up carpet creates dust in which I did not like breathing years of things filtering into the fibers.

So I found a picture of a scrubber we use, I now lay it down to push clean air upward instead of pushing away and causing side air not scrubbed past the machine. This was tile ripup in kitchen. I forget the cfm but I think it's around 1600 on high speed.

Attached Files:

4. Chris 45

That's kinda what I was thinking, Mike. I think it's time I got an air scrubber.

I haven't stepped up to a Festool vac yet but my shop vac has plenty of suction. The trick is you gotta get vacuum bags for fine stuff otherwise the filter clogs in a hurry and you loose CFMs. Put the vac bag on and you maintain full suction up until your bag is full even for sheet rock dust or grinding concrete.
  5. Mike Antonetti

2" is the best size. For quantity it's the only option. Festoon to me is cute, maybe tiny European towns it's good for to fit in tiny trucks.

Chris, I went the fine filter bag route for two years, first Ridgid 16 gallon, then sometimes the bags would burst clogging the filters anyway. I reinforced the bags inlet with duct tape, positioned the bag cautiously, calculating the way dust would pile up. Then I went to Bosch 3931 model, two or three of them, it had a shaker button for the filters but they didn't work great, then put a filter bag rendered the shakers useless.

So then Jack King told me about the CDC Larue vacuums, 1250 specifically and I thought hey, no more bags to buy. But the filters depending on usage need replacing every 6-12 months @ 235$ a clip. Jacks gone thru this vacuum upgrading almost everything on it that it doesn't break while operating. He's obsessed with perfection, can't say I blame him with the crap everyone sells.

So here was today's job, 95 miles away, 305 ft of ceramic removal, 320 ft of
    hardwood removal, Dust free is why we were called, customer stated horror stories from friends and neighbors. Jobs we do they want more business cards to tell everyone. 8-5 plus travel.

The scrubber ensures very clean air, the grinding equipment captures 99 or more percent. When we started a 1000 ft removal maybe 8 years ago, it was jackhammers,big fans, and clouds of dust, we've come a long way.

I have a scrubber, (s) for sale but it's a long way to Colorado.

Attached Files:

6. JCW355

JCW355 Pro Member

7. Mike Antonetti

Good point, in my Bosch vacuum I ordered the tear resistant bags from tools for flooring. They worked good but still the cfm was too low(140) The vac was decent when used for the 812 undercut saw, and I liked it for the auto on/off when power tool was activated, drilling holes in concrete etc.

Cutting hardwood with a saw creates dust which is carcinogenic as well, I think it's in a aerosol type particle that is inhaled, so not sure any manufacture is going to claim it's removed. Carbon activated filters may remove certain things from the air, but not specific things, and when does it stop working? When the odor returns. A little beyond basic "dust control" just depends on how deep you want to get.

The main thing is not only is it for the customer, which is a couple days, it's for your own health in which you do this work year after year accumulating possibly massive amounts of harmful particles. There's no lung cleaner as of yet that I'm aware of.
    Bosch Tools VAC022 3pk Airsweep Heavy-Duty Bags for Dry or Wet Material

Here's a new electric tile saw(dustless) think I saw it in JLC publication(Journal of Light Construction) I would scrutinize the hell out of it before purchasing, but I appreciate their effort.

8. Chris 45

9. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Hepafilters are required on pretty much every occupied space (commercial INSTITUTIONAL renovation work) I get involved with. Even when the whole wing of a building is shut down the kind of dust we raise is a hazard to ourselves and everyone in the containment area. Generally we are inside a sealed off section with negative air and separate or NO HVAC system.

If there's no one working around me and it's just a construction site I'll put a half mask respirator on, blow and go.
  10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

11. JCW355

JCW355 Pro Member

Recently found pulsebac 550 way cheap. Guy won it in a raffle and didnt want it. Found it on the local craigslist.
  12. Mike Antonetti

I've seen that company in the past, (ICS) but haven't purchased anything from them. Looks like they use filter bags also. I think it depends on what you're removing/picking up. I used my vacs for everything, general cleanup to thinset. Of course no water. Carpet fibers tend to not clear from filters and packing squiggly styrofoam will not clear from filters.

My smaller vacs when I would have to bend down and pick up tack strip nails that were removed due to insufficient suction, it was the last straw.